Well while developing the HE net client i encountered a strange situation.

I had a simple error in my application while running it and Ollydbg beeing the system debugger it poped-up asking me if i want to debug it...

Eh i say "Why not" but i got an message like "bad unrecognized executable format" from Ollydbg ...

I was under impresion that Olly was able to debug TASM generated applications ?

Am i wrong?

PS
-----
attached the faulty client here just for testing (not yet functional)
But try menu option Connect, enter dummy IP,user and pass and press OK...it will crash (at least on Win2k) ... if ollyDbg pops in you have the above situation
Posted on 2003-05-01 11:35:13 by BogdanOntanu
Do you have debug information included? Perhaps olly chokes if it can't read debug info? Just a guess.

Btw, I think the term is "default debugger" - system debugger is something like WinDbg or softice (would be cool if olly was a system debugger and still free :P)

Downloading your zip and giving it a go...
Posted on 2003-05-01 11:50:19 by f0dder
Ok, first I fired it up, let it GPF, pressed cancel, and opened in visual studio (my system default debugger). Loaded fine, fires up on:

004018F8 stos byte ptr

I then loaded he_client.exe in ollydbg (1.09b), ran, and olly caught the same line. No problem yet. Closed down ollydbg, ran he_client, and chose to attach to the he_client process. Entered IP and stuff in the client, and it crashed (caught by the attached ollydbg).

Then, I set ollydbg as the default debugger - and indeed, now it does give the following messagebox:

---------------------------
Error
Bad or unknown format of 32-bit executable file 'C:\he_client\he_client.EXE'
OK

It does seem to attach to the process though! - disassembly windows opens at the same address as all the other times.
Posted on 2003-05-01 11:58:01 by f0dder
Ollydbg Forum http://ollydbg.win32asmcommunity.net/

Didn't know if u knew that or not.

Sorry I'm not much help though
Posted on 2003-05-01 12:22:55 by gorshing
Thanks gorshing, didn't know. I've made a post there (anonymous, can't bother to register right now :)) and referred to this thread.
Posted on 2003-05-01 12:27:29 by f0dder
Thank you F0dder and gorshing

Since you posted there i will not do the same...
I guess it is a OllyDbg related bug/problem then...
Posted on 2003-05-01 12:30:08 by BogdanOntanu
np, bogdan. How's the game coming along?
Posted on 2003-05-01 12:32:16 by f0dder
Hi f0dder

Well nice, there is a free version available for download on site, have found some new bugs:

-replay is not the same unless you always restart game from zero before recording it
-Internet play is not working thru firewalls (i hav eno fixed UDP ports yet)
-map editor is not running in Win2k and i forgot to include it in this latest free release anyway
-game crashes if you make tons of units buildings (well there are no limit checks)

But the most annoying missfeature was the need to write the servers IP in he_servers.txt ... IF internet or LAN play is required via TCP/IP (funny IPX does not require this)

So i decided to make the HE Net Server and Client (for chatting and testing the protocol) first and then i will fix the above bugs.

Considering i must also make some new GFX and eventually change the terrain engine completly and/or greatly improve its looks ... and i am alone and i have SOLAR OS to develop also and day to day clients to attend ...get the picture :D

Under those circumstances i think it is going pretty well ...approx 90% done

I think the Server will be up and running this at end week on my IP... latter i will have to integrate the client into HE and then ppl will be able to play internet games in a organized fashion ...

This net server was the last algorithmic thing that was untouched in HE...

After that is will remove the known bugs add more units/balance maybe redo some GFX (at least menus) and at the end go on with speed optimizations ... wehere i will try and start using your MMX routines :)
Posted on 2003-05-01 12:46:13 by BogdanOntanu
Sounds like progress - good luck :)

wehere i will try and start using your MMX routines :)

hehe... which MMX routines?
Posted on 2003-05-01 12:54:21 by f0dder
Bogdan: on NT4SP6 no GPF.
i tried Client/Connect with 127.0.0.1 and reached 004018F8 (problem line as fodder said)
and passed with no problem.

is there anything that i must do before to GPF ? :)

... also i informed Olly about this. if there is really a problem with OllyDbg it will be fixed
before next release (1.09c)
Posted on 2003-05-02 01:12:00 by TBD
No nothing special to do just enter the loopback IP and a dummu userr/pass combo.
As f0dder stated the problem with Olly appears ONLY is Olly is the "default" debugger, presumed when he tries to attach to process that generated the GPF.

Funny if NTSP6 makes no GPF, i did not tried it on WIn9x maybe that also will get by... ?

The error it self was obviouse (i was just writting more bytes over the edge of a buffer) but the error message that Olly poped out annoyed me a little ...
Posted on 2003-05-02 08:27:14 by BogdanOntanu