[...] then telling me that they don't support half the things in my laptop (S-Video In/Hibernation/Modem).

No.
Its not Linux not supporting the Hardware, its the Vendors not supporting Linux by publishing their specifications or at least give some documentation to Linux developers. So before you blame this on Linux, send a email to the vendor of your unsupported Hardware.
Posted on 2003-05-06 14:42:49 by bazik

I'm still running linux on my server though, it does a fine job at routing, firewalling, and filestorage. Ie, all those non-interactive things.

If you dont get linux working as desktop OS for you, you shouldnt make your impression to the general meaning ;)

I dont have any problems with Linux and thousands of other user aswell.

And Readiosys, you are right about the "useless Software" most distros install. But you can either just deselect the package in setup or just install a Linux distro "from scratch" like LFS, Gentoo, RockLinux etc.

You Windows used guys should learn one thing: Linux is real work to setup but fun to use :alright:

And now please stop the Windows/Linux bashing before I get sick of it.
Posted on 2003-05-06 14:50:11 by bazik
heh, I could get it _working_ if I cared too - still doesn't change that so many programs suck and are sloppily coded and full of bugs (well, worse than windows).
Posted on 2003-05-06 14:54:44 by f0dder