YAY, I got it to work finally after a week of troubleshooting but the problem is that I think I have blown 3 of my 16F628's in the process, no biggie I'll just get some more to everyone that helped thanks, I will be making some experiment circuity with the chip so I *WILL* need all of your help again :D, but yippe so happy (crying....)
Posted on 2003-05-05 18:17:29 by x86asm
Ya its a proud milestone!

I hope you have a ZIP socket for it (zero insertion force). It will keep you chip pins from taking abuse from repeated programming. I snafoo'd one from an only EPROM programmer. But i think you can get them for about 30$ or so.

:NaN:
Posted on 2003-05-05 19:29:28 by NaN
congrats - time to have some fun eh? :)
Posted on 2003-05-06 02:03:01 by f0dder

congrats - time to have some fun eh? :)
Posted on 2003-05-06 18:19:12 by x86asm
As I remember, MPLAB embeds some extra non-program info into the hex file, such as the configuration bits.

Its gonna depend on how WinPIC used the hex file; any decent PIC programmer should have knowedge of MPLAB exports and thus support them. I just peeked at my copy of MPASM (Microchip's assembler compiler-only program), and it doesn't seem to have an option to turn off config info either.

Maybe you need to delete it from the .asm file, that should kill the exporting of it. However, you still need to set the config bits of the PIC.

Kinda talking out loud here (and moistly out my butt)... I should go seek out WinPIC and see what it does (I might be needing something like this soon).

Congrats on getting it to work.
Posted on 2003-05-06 19:03:47 by Ernie
Afternoon, x86asm.

There is some garbage on the top of the file

Is it possible for you to post what garbage you're seeing? I'm d/loading MPLAB at the moment, however I do not have any .asm/hex files from it.:confused: :alright:

Afternoon, Ernie.
Kinda talking out loud here (and moistly out my butt)

uhhh....a bit more information than I required thanks.:eek:

Cheers,
Scronty
Posted on 2003-05-06 22:39:52 by Scronty
Err... I think your talking to Ernie here... :tongue:

:alright:
NaN
Posted on 2003-05-06 22:42:50 by NaN
Afternoon, nan.

Sorry about that:grin: .

I've corrected my error.

Cheers,
Scronty
Posted on 2003-05-06 22:54:32 by Scronty
I must be getting quite the reputation for my "fart-jokes" style of humor. :tongue:
Posted on 2003-05-06 23:56:09 by NaN

As I remember, MPLAB embeds some extra non-program info into the hex file, such as the configuration bits.
Yes, the PICs (at least the ones I've used) have configuration bits stored in ROM locations outside the spec'ed ROM range. That's why they can be encoded in the HEX files.
Posted on 2003-05-07 14:56:50 by tenkey
I believe I fixed the problem, when my program has gotten larger it seemed to disappear, BTW I blew another chip >=|
Posted on 2003-05-07 17:35:47 by x86asm

Afternoon, x86asm.

Is it possible for you to post what garbage you're seeing? I'm d/loading MPLAB at the moment, however I do not have any .asm/hex files from it.:confused: :alright:

Afternoon, Ernie.

uhhh....a bit more information than I required thanks.:eek:

Cheers,
Scronty

Sorry Scronty I can't post I lost it :(, and it disappeared now, also Scronty you may want to use register equates instead of using the actual numerical values, I have a list I made in my source listing, I am using the PIC16F628 and I noticed you are using the 16F84A, they are very similar but the PIC16F628 has some enhancements so some of these features may not apply to your situation. It'll make your life easier :D

TMR0 equ 1h
PCL equ 2h
CMCON equ 1fh
PORTA equ 5h
PORTB equ 6h
TRISA equ 85h
TRISB equ 86h
OPTIONREG equ 81h
PCON equ 8Eh
SPBRG equ 99h
TMR1L equ 0Eh
TMR1H equ 0Fh
STATUS equ 03h
RP0 equ 5
RP1 equ 6
IRP equ 7
Posted on 2003-05-07 17:50:11 by x86asm
Also one more I need a way to delay the PIC (I'm using the IntRC mode w/o CLKout on the PIC). Here is my best try with my limited knowledge of the PIC (I think I should use the TMR0 with a prescaler dont you think?) set up the LED flashing code in the interrupt routine and then SLEEP the CPU (hey sounds good!!!))

here is my simplisting delay code:

COUNT EQU 0x0F

delay
movlw 0xFF
movwf COUNT ;Store 0xFF in count
loop4
decfsz COUNT ;1 clk
goto loop4 ;2 clk=3 clks*255=765 clks
return

hmm...but I think the timer sleeps as well along with the CPU, darn...
Posted on 2003-05-07 17:53:02 by x86asm