Is there a reference for the file* series of commands? I know it's in the C lib (mscvrt.dll), is there a starting place I can look?

thnx
Posted on 2003-05-06 14:55:29 by drarem
Look in MSDN just type the command in the search field and press GO for example:

First Item on the list (also the first on google)

Everything you ever needed to know about RTLs
Posted on 2003-05-06 15:38:38 by donkey
Doh!! I meant, I would like to reverse-engineer these.. I should have worded my question more accurately ~:\
I would like to make my own fputc(), fgetc(), fopen(), etc.. for purposes of speed and size naturally and to avoid using the mscvrt.dll.

Is there a starting place I can look?
Posted on 2003-05-06 15:42:06 by drarem
Eek !!! R3v3rs3-3ng1n33r1ng is d@ eV1l !!! Please read the rules. :eek:

Btw, there is no need to rewrite C library file functions : you can use the Win32API instead (CreateFile, ReadFile, WriteFile)...
You can write wrappers functions/macros around those API functions to make them easier to use, if you want...
Posted on 2003-05-06 16:06:05 by JCP
there's not much use in writing your own FILE * stuff... you'll be IO bound anyway. If you want something speedier, go design your own stuff around win32 file functions.

If you feel you must use FILE * stuff, the interface is documented in just any libc reference, even at http://msdn.microsoft.com . If you need some help implementing it, there's plenty of sources to look at. djgpp libc, cygwin libc, linux libc, etc etc etc.
Posted on 2003-05-06 16:11:52 by f0dder
If you own Visual C/C++, you should have the libc source code. If you don't own a copy... Well, MS used to put old VC libc source code on their ftp site. I'm not sure if they still do so.

Anyway, that would be a better starting point than RE'ing binary files.

Or, you may want to take a look at OpenWatcom libc source code.
Posted on 2003-05-06 17:11:24 by Starless
Donkey,

Thanks for the link about C run-time reference.:alright:
Posted on 2003-05-11 04:21:44 by Vortex