Ok i have managed to install red hat linux 8.0 and its booting up fine, but i am still having some major problems with it.

Here they are-

[*]Sound Card - I have a Creative Vibra128 sound card. During installation it detected it as a wrong sound card, it thought it was the 'Ensonique" soundcard. Well i tried playing the test sound but couldnt hear it.

Now when i log in Gnome, it auto - detects the sound card as Ensonique and i am not able to play any sound.
    While in KDE it gives me an err msg about the sound card while starting up. I dont know the exact msg but it does say something like it couldnt detect it properly or something and it is attaching a null to the sound or something like that.

Now how do i go about correcting this.

[*]Video Card - I have a tnt2m64 card with 32mb vram.
    Now, it did detect it as tnt2 but it thinks the card has 4mb of vram. Well i customised it and set it to 32mb vram. But still the option to use "3D harware accelaration" is grayed out and i am not able to play any 3d games.

So how do i go about correcting this and get my video card to do 3d hardware rendering, cause w/o that i cant play any 3d games.

[*]Speed- Whoever said winXp was slow should check out linux. It seems it would need a 2ghz processor just to get the gui running properly. (I got a 700 mhz). And even when i open folders i have to wait for it to load. Even help takes a long time to load. And what more all the html help in linux doesnt seem to have a "sync toc" button, so if you open a page from index, then you have to manually have to browse through contents and find where the page is :rolleyes:

[*]hibernation - you said linux could hibernate, but i dont find any options for that?

[*]installing apps - how do you install apps in linux? I got gnomw 2.2 on a cd and it has got gtk+(some version number after that).tar.gz file. Where am i supposed to extract all this? In which directory? Isnt there anything like a setup program in linux?

Also i was insalling ibm's websphere, and it says it needs "Terminal: pd ksh". In the normal terminal (which i guess is "bash") it gives an error while installing?
    How do i get ksh?

And where are all my compilers like gcc, gdb etc. I selected them while installing linux but where are they kept?

Also one more little thing. I just downloaded the aqua theme for kde , where do i extract all the files and how do i get the theme running.

[*]Webmin - How do i get it running. When i type "http://127.0.0.1:1000" in mozilla, it is unable to connect to it.

As you can see i am really confused with the directory structure of linux. I am sorry if i sound a bit rude oranything but i am absolutly frustated with linux.
    I would really appreciate some help.
Posted on 2003-05-09 03:28:30 by clippy
Sound card: you can try recompiling your kernel and adding support for sound (it worked for my soundblaster on suse)

forget the 3d games on linux

hibernation option does not exist on linux, but can be implemented
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=hibernation+linux

for installing files read the documentation that comes with the package you are installing, rpm's are quite easy to install

(http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/)

to get the location (on your computer) of gcc type "which gcc"
http://gcc.gnu.org/

webmin uses secure http (https) so write https://127.0.0.1:10000
http://www.webmin.com/intro.html
http://www.webmin.com/faq.html

to get more speed shutdown the stuff you do not use (servers, misc. services, modules)
and I hope that you have RAM_SIZE * 2 of swap space
Posted on 2003-05-09 05:44:53 by Azrim
Thanks azrim.

Btw, i just installed the aqua theme available at kde's site. But it doesnt look too much like the original cause the author for some reason decided to change the title bars.

I heard that some guy named 'Eric Yang' made some extremly nice osX aqua themes but they are not available anymore. If someone has them could somebody pls post it.
If not can anybody pls send me the file or give me a link to convert my linux box as much as possible into Aqua?

My email address - gladiator34@rediffmail.com
Posted on 2003-05-09 07:37:30 by clippy
A penguin can't hibernate : it lives in a cold environment all the year... :rolleyes:
Posted on 2003-05-09 07:56:15 by JCP

forget the 3d games on linux

Yes, but only if you use the standard drivers (I was scared too before downlaoding the latest drivers from nVidia). Download the latest drivers from the manufacturer TNT2, that's a nVidia card, they have good, excelent, support for linux (I have nVidia card my self, and it's on a PCI bus, no problems with 3d games.
If you need help setting up the new drivers tell me and I'll tell you how I did it (if you can't fix it using the manual found on the same page (I have my own way of fixing the x-server shutdown/restart) as the downloads, nVidia even has a little script that determinates which drivers you need download, I used it for RedHat 8.0).

as for the linux directorries, here's how I use it:
/home// - my home folder, here I save evrything. Think of it as the only place you can save you data.
/root/ - when using the root account, this is the home folder. Hint Don't use root as "standard user", you can't play certain games as root (freeciv for instance). Use a "mortal" user as working profiel and "su" the things you need tp be root for (start a terminal and type "su" hit enter, type root password and, voulal? everything you do and run in that terminal untill you close it is the work of root). (+ you don't risk doing something that will crash you install, belvie me, I've learned it the hard way... :rolleyes: )
/tmp/ - the temp folder, here I put all temporary data
/usr/local/ - here I put my apps, fasm in the sub folder bin/.
Posted on 2003-05-09 08:30:38 by scientica
I played SIN (demo) on Mandrake 8.0, it worked even faster than the same demo on windows.
(default Mandrake installation)

anyway, when it comes to gaming and multimedia I stick to windows..
that will change soon.
Posted on 2003-05-09 09:00:12 by Azrim
SOUNDCARD:
- You'll have to do a google search on that one. It may be a pain to get it working, but I'm sure someone out there has a solution, it may not be as easy as 1,2,3 though:(

VIDEOCARD:
-This is very easy to do. Goto the nvidia website, download the the nvidia package, change to root and run type on command line "./whateverthenvidiadrivernameis.ru"
*Make sure you are not in X. to get out of X type on the commandline "telinit 3"

You'll need to edit the file /etc/X11/XF86Config

Comment out with "#" the following lines:

Load "dri"
Load "GLcore" <-- may not be in rh 8, i don't remember

Make sure you have in the file, if you don't add it in the same section:
Load "glx"

Change the line
Driver "nv"

to Driver "nvidia"

Save the file and restart X.

KDE/GNOME config tools will still have 3D acceleration grayed out because they are "unaware" of the nvidia drivers. You will still have 3D acceleration though. Run the commandline program "glxgears" to confirm everything is working. With the tnt2 you should get about "400 - 800 fps"

SPEED:
rh8 is very slow, you can gain some speed improvements by disabling uneeded services. To do this goto I belive it's the "system settings" menu, then look for "services"

You may want to try mandrake 9, it has a much more noticible performance increase over redhat 8/9.

HIBERNATION:
I don't use it, so i'm not sure. But i'm sure there is info some where.

INSTALLATION OF APPS:
goto apt.freshrpms.net

download the apt package for rh8, install with "rpm -Ivh downloaded aptpackagename.rpm"

This makes installation of software very easy. If you don't have the software run "apt-get install softwarename" Want to search for a piece of software that is available? "apt-cache search softwarename"

rpms are similar to setups in a sense. Using tar.gz files isn't an installation, but a similar to a zip file. to uncompress it run "tar zxvf filename.tar.gz"

WEBMIN:
I don't use it, so I dont' know.

To run ksh, just type ksh and it'll switch from bash to ksh which is the unix korn shell. To get along with linux prepare to do a lot of reading and asking questions, overtime you'll learn the important stuff.

If you have any more questions feel free to let me know, I use to use rh8 for about 3 months, then I upgraded to rh9, so I'm pretty familiar with it... just let me know if you have more questions.

Hope that helps.
Posted on 2003-05-09 10:50:12 by Asm_Freak
SPEED
dump kde that is the slowest disktop window manager there is for linux
one nice thing about redhat is there is an update manager built in to Gnome
it's under system programs menu use it on the system libarays first this may also speed up the system

SOUND CARD
run I think it's sndconfig try to find a card by the same vindor but a lower modle number and use that driver the sound card will work like the lower modle number card

PACKAGES
in Gnome there is a GUI packager manager under system programs menu
I think it's called RPM manager

something real nice about linux is there is a lot of help on the inter net for it
and a lot of people willing to help
Posted on 2003-05-09 16:04:06 by rob.rice
try pressing ctrl+alt+f1 this is a vitural termnal log in and make frinds
with this is the best frind you will have in linux the first command I
suggest you run is "info" I'll look up some sites that will help bring
you up to speed with linux soon and post them here
Posted on 2003-05-09 16:15:13 by rob.rice
here is a good place to get info on linux

http://www.justlinux.com/

thay even have a page about getting sound cards to work
and lots more
Posted on 2003-05-09 19:21:40 by rob.rice
Thanks for the reply friends.

As i told you i dont have an inet connection at home at the moment so i cant dl the nVidia drivers right now. but i will do it pretty soon.

And abt webmin- it doesnt open up even when i type "https://127.0.0.1:1000" ;(

Also i have the latest update for gnome on a magazine cd but it is just a compressed file with no information whatsoever on how to install. Its just a directory called i guess "gtk-2.1.1" or something and it has to be copied somewhere. Now where do i copy it? I still cant understand??

Btw, does updating the kernel speed up the os?

Also which part of the os exactly is called the kernel? Is it the memory manager, scheduler , i/o handling system or all these combined?

I like kde cause i found a very nice aqua interface for it ;) I havent found any such aqua interfaces for gnome.

Also where can i know abt all the apis and stuff for programming in linux?
Posted on 2003-05-14 07:53:02 by clippy
hello,

the port for webmin is not 1000 its 10000 so write https://127.0.0.1:10000

you can find your current kernel in /boot/vmlinuz and the source in /usr/src/linux

kernel does it all, all the system functions are in kernel. The "api's" are called system calls..

btw: if you want to see which syscall's an app is calling during runtime you can type

strace -c <app>

or for more fun just

strace <app>
Posted on 2003-05-14 08:15:21 by Azrim

Thanks for the reply friends.

As i told you i dont have an inet connection at home at the moment so i cant dl the nVidia drivers right now. but i will do it pretty soon.

And abt webmin- it doesnt open up even when i type "https://127.0.0.1:1000" ;(

Also i have the latest update for gnome on a magazine cd but it is just a compressed file with no information whatsoever on how to install. Its just a directory called i guess "gtk-2.1.1" or something and it has to be copied somewhere. Now where do i copy it? I still cant understand??

Btw, does updating the kernel speed up the os?

Also which part of the os exactly is called the kernel? Is it the memory manager, scheduler , i/o handling system or all these combined?

I like kde cause i found a very nice aqua interface for it ;) I havent found any such aqua interfaces for gnome.

Also where can i know abt all the apis and stuff for programming in linux?

in dos terms the kernal is IO.SYS MSDOS.SYS and COMMAND.COM all roled into one

gtk is a graphics libaray and it would go in ether /usr/lib or /usr/lib/gtk
or /usr/local/lib or /usr/schare/lib

the easyest way to check it out would be to uncompress it into a temparay
directory then unTAR it with eather tar -xzf gtk* or tar -xyf gtk* there will be a readme in the arcive some where and may be even a install script
if it ends with rpm then it is an rpm file the command would be "rpm -u gtk*.rpm"
if it has an src some where in the name then it is a source file and will need to be built with gcc DON'T get scared once you get it uncompressed and untared
most of the time it's just configure+make all+make install to install from source

KDE is slow if you want to use it then use it but don't moan about linux being slow when you decide to use the slowest interface there is for linux

what lanuage do you want to program in ?

yes a custon rebuild of the kernal can speed up linux the one you are running now
was built for a 386 ( get a good handle on linux befor you try this )

I don't know what webmin is but the command "man webmin" or "info webmin"
should bring up some documention on it

don't be afarde to try things nomatter haw bad you mess it up you can reinstall
once you get even half way good with linux you can fix just about any thing you mess up

it is a good idea to copy the files in /etc to some place for safe keeping BEFOR you
edit ANYTHING in /etc
Posted on 2003-05-14 10:35:45 by rob.rice