Hi

I am working with an application and a dll. The dll causes the exe to crash but the dll is still running. After making changes in the dll code I can't delete the dll because it is occupied. Now I have got tired of restarting the computer each time it craches. An exe can be terminated by the task manager. Is there a way to terminate a dll without restarting the computer? My OS is win2k

regards
Posted on 2003-05-09 13:54:34 by minor28
No, not a dll by itself. But there is nothing to prevent you from just restarting the exe, this will cause a new independant process space to be created with a new copy of the dll. This will cause a memory leak, but you only have to restart when you start running out of memory.

Of course, you could just fix the code in the dll that is causing the problem :alright:
Posted on 2003-05-09 16:30:39 by sluggy
How about shutting down the development software? I've found that in debugging mode, DLLs and EXEs can be locked and can't be replaced until I exit the IDE, the debugger, or change workspaces.

Still can't delete?

Win2k?

Try logging out and logging back in. Unless you're trying to write device drivers, this should clear everything out.

AFAIK, if you boot up without needing to log in, you will still be logged into a default account. You want to log back into this default account. You will still need to restart your development software.
Posted on 2003-05-09 18:26:00 by tenkey
I had a problem with such DLL (bassmod.dll actually), it would not unload when my application would crash and I would hear music skipping. I couldn't even restart normally (Windows had to wait a long time). I had patience and it turned out DLL was killed about 3 or 4 minutes after application crashed. Not sure if that was Windows or maybe something in DLL itself.
Posted on 2003-05-09 18:50:12 by comrade
Hi

sluggy, I am working with the dll so I have to delete it and rebuild it.

tenkey, shutting down the the development software doesn't work, but log out and log in works. That's easier than rebooting. thanks.

comrade, I had patience and waited for 15 minutes but the dll was still loaded.

Looks like I have to log out and log in to solve the problem.

Thanks
Posted on 2003-05-10 12:56:34 by minor28