I'm running Windows XP with a 1066 MHz Pentium III, and 512MB RAM, and have disabled paging (specified no paging file in the Virtual Memory tab). However, when I monitor the system with MemStat XP, I see about 350 MB physical memory free, and 120 MB swap file.

I have used SpeedXP to disable NT Executive paging, and optimize I/O Paging lock limit. Nevertheless I see 20MB of system software in swap.

I am writing a program that allocates 2 MB RAM (using malloc in HLA, which apparently calls GlobalAlloc), and when run immediately the used swap file rises to 160+. This swapping is messing with the speed of the program. How do I disable this mess, apart from switching to Windows 2000?
Posted on 2003-05-11 17:22:10 by V Coder
If you are sure that you have set your page file to 0MB in size, try this:

- get a startup floppy, use it to boot your machine, navigate to your pagefile (pagefile.sys), and delete it. Then reboot your machine normally, and see whether the pagefile is recreated.

I have successfully run two different dev machines with two different OSs both with no pagefile. I only occassionally got out of memory errors.
Posted on 2003-05-11 17:46:15 by sluggy
(Someone says Friends don't let friends use NTFS)

My notebook is formatted in NTFS.

For some strange reason I cannot even boot with a floppy even though I change default boot device... That would be a BIOS issue.
Posted on 2003-05-14 21:44:15 by V Coder
I still find it hard to believe you're getting a paging file when you've turned it off...
What are those MemStat XP and SpeedXP programs? Most of the shareware tweak programs
are written by authors who don't really understand what is going on, but grabbed some
registry tweaks from newsgroups/whatever, and put it all in a nice and shiny interface.

Friends don't let friends use FAT - NFTS is fine. Boot from your XP CD, and boot into a
"recovery console". You should be able to delete/replace any files from there, NTFS
or not.

paste your program here (preferably including sources so I can play with different memory
allocation techniques), I have both 2k and XP machines to test on.
Posted on 2003-05-15 02:01:27 by f0dder
Turn off paging in Windows XP:

1. Right click My Computer
2. Select Properties
3. Advanced tab
4. Performance Settings button
5. Advanced tab
6. Virtual memory Change button
7. No paging file option

Click okay to all the prompts so that you reboot.
There will be no page file and no paging.
Posted on 2003-05-15 08:45:14 by bitRAKE
Been there, done that, longgggggg ago....
Posted on 2003-05-15 15:23:05 by V Coder
well, time to post your app so we can tell what's going on.
Posted on 2003-05-15 15:26:06 by f0dder

Been there, done that, longgggggg ago....

setting memory usage to 'system cache' can have some really funny results :eek:
Posted on 2003-05-15 16:15:26 by Tola
damn, I missed that detail :)
Heh, I definitely wouldn't blame windows for "weird paging behaviour" when having the machine set up for 'system cache' :)
Posted on 2003-05-15 16:25:55 by f0dder