All the fans are working, but my cpu temp is usually 49~51c(127f)

A 1 gig Athlon. Any idea to make it cooler(besides turning it off). I'm getting data corupution.

Stupid MB and its flakey ACPI. I think I'm going to have to upgrade soon than planned. I was waiting for my clawhammer :(
Posted on 2003-05-11 21:48:04 by ThoughtCriminal
Same problem here - I had to underclock my 1.333Ghz TB to 1Ghz! This is the hotest CPU I know of 56C all the time - I'm just waiting for it to give up. MB is garbage, too ASUS A7A266. I have a high quality heat sink and good power supply. Been having real problems with it the last month. The code I have tuned to run at maximum memory bandwidth really stress it and it'll overheat everytime at 1.333Ghz!

My BP6 with dual 550Mhz Celerons just keeps on running... :)
Posted on 2003-05-11 21:59:56 by bitRAKE
All the fans are working, but my cpu temp is usually 49~51c(127f)
My understanding is that is about the normal range for an Athlon.

Just because all your fans are working, it doesn't mean they are ideally placed. You might want to spend $10 and get another fan, except don't set it up to blow, instead set it up to extract.

<edit>And you could also try gluing an ice cube to the cpu every half hour :grin: </edit>
Posted on 2003-05-11 23:27:01 by sluggy
Unfortunatly my board wont let me go below 1gh.

My understanding is that is about the normal range for an Athlon.

Thanks. Then I guess my board or cpu is messed up :(
Posted on 2003-05-11 23:49:14 by ThoughtCriminal
Athlon XP's run cooler. My Athlon TB is the highest wattage of any Athlon CPU - that is why it's so hot. It was okay during the winter, but now that warm weather is picking up it just can't get cooled quick enough.
Posted on 2003-05-12 00:08:11 by bitRAKE
Athlon TB's have no problem running below 90C, says AMD. :P

I think you could try changing system frequency from 133MHz to 124MHz (1GHz to 930MHz - won't feel it differ!), CPU voltage from 1.75V to 1.5V.
And I fainted on seeing the CPU fan going at 4500RPM! Whata hell lot of dirt in it.
That's what I did to make it from 53C to 42C last week. :D

Which mb are you using?? Dont most motherboards support changing system frequency, if not multiplier frequency also?
Posted on 2003-05-12 00:28:48 by C.Z.
MS-6330:
http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=97&MODEL=MS-6330

I tried setting the clock to its lowest setting, but that happens to be 1ghz. The lowest setting is 100+33.

The fans are are mostly clean.

It seems pretty clear that eith the board or CPU have something wrong with them. Time to go price an XP, board and 512mb of speedy ram(I dont think my PC133 will work.)

Thanks.
Posted on 2003-05-12 03:09:06 by ThoughtCriminal
Athlon 1600+ (what a proud name) about 49~50 allways

I also have Geforce 2 Ti without cooler becouse fan broke down so i toke some radiator from old intel 720 (or something like this) and atached it onto default GF2Ti radiator. I do not know how hot this one is but when i touch it while computer is on it burns a lot so ur not able to hold ur finger there for a long time.:cool:

69 it's such a nice amount of posts, that's a pity that im gona post here some more :tongue:
Posted on 2003-05-13 15:25:47 by AceEmbler
ThoughtCriminal, does your chipset only have a heatsink, or does it have a fan too? If not, try putting a fan on the grill... I'm pretty sure some of the stability problems I've had are because MSI (unwisely) shipped the 645E Max2 motherboard without a chipset fan.

My system is very stable even if I stress CPU and memory to the max, but as soon as memory+pci+agp bus is stressed at the same time (ie, running a game), I'd get ~20 minutes before a BSOD. Chipset heatsink would be _very_ hot. Directing a table ventilator directly at the chipset keeps my box going for hours and hours no matter what I do.

So, either a GPU or chipset overheating problem, most like chipset. Definitely not CPU.

Btw, I heard that there's some problems with the newest 3200+ CPU from AMD, and that they even say you should turn off APIC? Ick.
Posted on 2003-05-13 16:26:15 by f0dder
my athlon 1800+ runs at 48 C when idling.

52 to 59 when running QUAKE III

If i put the side covers on the tower it runs hotter so i just leave them off.

Never had a problem with crashing because of temperature.

However my CMOS has a mind of its own sometimes and i have to auto detect my hardrives every few months or so.

Cheap mother board i guess. K7S5A
Posted on 2003-05-13 17:39:51 by IwasTitan
I always thought 70? Celcius was about the breaking point (literally) of modern CPUs :confused:

my motherboard loses its settings when the power gets disconnected although the battery is fine. It must be some stupid security measure. :(
Posted on 2003-05-13 19:59:38 by Hiroshimator

I always thought 70? Celcius was about the breaking point (literally) of modern CPUs :confused:

my motherboard loses its settings when the power gets disconnected although the battery is fine. It must be some stupid security measure. :(

I don't know too much about them but when my brother installed my athlon he said at 70 C the system will crash and its reboot time. He set my Mother Board Monitor alarm to 65 C but it has never gone that high.

As far as CMOS settings go i think even really dry air can screw them up because then static electricity is more pronounced.
Posted on 2003-05-13 20:42:58 by IwasTitan
f0dder, "table ventilator " would not happen to be a standard room fan? I was thinking of trying that.

I pretty sure it is the board that is having the problem, not the CPU, too.

Thanks.
Posted on 2003-05-13 22:17:13 by ThoughtCriminal
Yep, standard room fan thingy. The kind you usually have standing on a table on hot summer days :)
Yesterday I had it blowing at my chipset again, and again I was able to play battlefield 1942 against
my younger brothers with no problems until I sent them off for bed. Hopefully today, a friend of mine
will drop by with a couple old 486/pentium fans and we'll try finding one that fits my chipset.

Btw, I'd recommend everybody to get at least one casefan for their tower (if you're worried about the noise, run it at 5v instead of 12v, will require some surgery if the fan isn't a fancy one - but hell, even I can do that kind of soldering ;) ). Have it blow directly at your harddrives... the results are amazing. My drives go from "pretty hot" to room temperature. Needless to say (I guess), this has quite an effect on overall heat inside the tower.
Posted on 2003-05-14 01:44:43 by f0dder
Well, had to get a new MB,.....and CPU,.....and ram.

Now posting using my new Athlon 2500 Barton.

This thing runs cool for its power, about 43c.
Posted on 2003-05-16 10:55:18 by ThoughtCriminal