What is happening with the post counters? They go wild from time to time. Now I see I got 'bout 50 less then last time I was on the board.

Do you think what I think?
I think it's ALIENS! :stupid:
Posted on 2003-05-12 14:56:06 by Milos
Posted on 2003-05-12 16:54:47 by Guerrilla
yep we did some spring cleaning :)
Posted on 2003-05-12 18:13:32 by Hiroshimator
Btw, there are sometimes very interesting posts on the Heap about HLL or other programming/computing things... how is the clean up done ? Blind erase by date or do you browse post by post to sort out the useful and useless ones ?
Posted on 2003-05-13 01:04:51 by JCP
by date.
Posted on 2003-05-13 05:30:50 by Hiroshimator
Flied away with the spring cleaning. :)
Posted on 2003-05-13 08:01:53 by Vortex

by date.

Well, maybe we can filter the interesting threads of this delete by using the rating feature ? (which would become useful)
If the thread is well rated, it is not erased...
Of course, users should not abuse of the rating....

What do you think about that ?
Posted on 2003-05-14 03:51:14 by JCP
allo ?
Posted on 2003-05-16 01:39:04 by JCP
allo ?

Why not just add a forum or sub forum could be named archive (with the description "Usefull(?) stuff saved by the secret service") and move _old_ usefull threads there
Posted on 2003-05-16 07:03:49 by scientica
sorry I've been sick the last few days and it's hard enough to just browse and stay focused :(
I only have been answering mails and still have some PMs to do.

it could be done but to be effective it would need 'touching' of every thread/post. Something that is on a grande scale a bit unrealistic I think.
But it could be done of course especially with member help.
Posted on 2003-05-16 08:53:47 by Hiroshimator

sorry I've been sick the last few days and it's hard enough to just browse and stay focused :(
I only have been answering mails and still have some PMs to do.

it could be done but to be effective it would need 'touching' of every thread/post. Something that is on a grande scale a bit unrealistic I think.

OK how can we help??????
Posted on 2003-05-16 21:08:16 by rob.rice

Perhaos during summer vaccation, and then a such work must bee coordinated so that no colutions beeing made (like two ppl working on the same posts), pehaps by delegating posts in chunks of 30 post selected by date/time (eg A takes the post from the Nth of Month 00:00 to the N+2th of Month 15:30, B takes post from N+2th of Nonth 15:31 to...)
I'm sure I can find some night time (nights are for programming days are for sleep ;)) during this summer to assist in touching the threads. :)

I hope you feel better now, and remain free from illness for years to come :)
Posted on 2003-05-17 06:23:12 by scientica
hehe still sick :p

have some kind of bronchitis :(

coughing and wheezing all over the place

well if more people wish to go ahead with this that's fine with me. I think it would be best that you give a rating of 5 to a thread that's worth keeping and no rating to threads that aren't. But it would be best to have a few more people at the time to go a bit dedicated about it. Forum at a time maybe.
Posted on 2003-05-17 06:49:35 by Hiroshimator
Being binary (keep(1) or throw(0)) can be a bit scaring for some people, since from time to time there will be posts whene one can't decide wheter to keep a post or toss it away (and therefore they might panic).
One suggestion about the rating:
5 = keep it
3 = could someone else help me decide (<- like a "I'm not sure wheter we should keep it or not, what do you think?")
1 = delete it now (for useless threads)

And let unrated threads be "not touched yet", that way it can be quite easy to see what thrads has been touched and which haven't. Any comments on my suggestion?
Posted on 2003-05-17 08:04:38 by scientica
I don't see why useless threads need a score, to make them feel special? ;) :p

for doubt give a score of 1, then later people can add 5 (or not) and I just select those with a divided score of 3 or higher or something.
Posted on 2003-05-17 08:11:04 by Hiroshimator

for doubt give a score of 1, then later people can add 5 (or not) and I just select those with a divided score of 3 or higher or something.

Ok, then we say so.

IF doubt THEN rate=1

ELSE IF keep THEN rate=5
ELSE THEN don't rate
Posted on 2003-05-17 08:20:18 by scientica
yes. But I will need to have a few people that really wish to dedicate themselves to it. I will try to do this also as much as possible but I have other work as well currently.

I'll also be resetting all rating-counters that may still exist.
Posted on 2003-05-17 08:37:59 by Hiroshimator