Howdy

im coding a gnutella client in asm and for this i like to know if there is another way to find out if my client run on a dsl system or not without checking the modem settings in registry ?
Posted on 2001-10-03 04:58:42 by Peer
There is no real way of finding your connection type. The ADSL i had did not require pppoe for instance, all i had to do was hook the modem up to a network card and i was ready to go. No special drivers or any of that crap because it was built into the modem. The only types of connections you could hope to detect is ethernet and ppp because those are standards. If it is ppp then do a speed test and if it's faster than 56K it's prolly DSL or Cable.
Posted on 2001-10-06 17:46:29 by Zynaps
I don't know any way to detect if you have DSL or not. I ran into the same problem coding the "Welcome-2-Net" program. It can be found on win32asm.cjb.net. But basicly i explain in the zip file that anytime you have a dialup modem in use you have your ISP assigned IP address. BUT, if you use dialup for internet access, and you aren't online at the time AND you aren't on a network, then your localhost IP address will always be 127.0.0.1 . I'm not sure if that helps at all, but at least if you check for this, then you'll have dialup out of the picture. Now you'll just have cable/dsl or network to figure out. Process of elimination i guess. And i'm also guessing there may not be a correct way to do this. Hence why Napster and WinMX and all the other file sharing programs never 'auto-detected' your connection. It was always up to the user to input there connection type upon setup of the program.

Good luck.:alright:
Nok.

P.S. - If you find a good efficient way, please email me!
Posted on 2001-10-09 12:51:02 by Nokturnal
I can't think of any ways to auto-detect DSL/Cable, at least not any
stable methods. Same goes for detecting "internet IP" in a router+NAT
situation, the only way I can think of involved sending an outside
server a packet that will trigger a reply where you can read the
IP address (no, reading the "dest" field of the IP header will not work,
as your router will patch the destination to your LAN IP).
Posted on 2001-10-11 22:47:40 by f0dder