OS construction (bootloaders and things like that)

and/or

language/assembler/compiler design

It's for some time that these requests come back and I'm wondering wether people find it interesting. Let me know your thoughts please.

thank you :)
Posted on 2003-05-16 08:58:41 by Hiroshimator
:grin: how bout a "World Affairs" forum?
hehe
couldn't resist :cool:

Brad
Posted on 2003-05-16 09:54:45 by Brad
dunno if there's a room for those forums... questions pop up from time to time, but you risk ending up with tons of specialized subforums with not too many posts, and a lot of people being confused as to where they should post.
Posted on 2003-05-16 10:41:27 by f0dder
I am interested in OS design for SOlar OS, and i must make my own assembler for it also,
Besides i agree with f0dder have not seen many such posts here... but indeed they pop up from time to time.

Maybe make a single new forum named "Make my own stuff from scratch :)"

this will include:
-make my own OS
-make my own assembler/compiller
-make my own 3D engine
-make my own game
-make my own GUI

etc etc

maybe in such a way there will be much more posts grouped together
Posted on 2003-05-16 10:52:40 by BogdanOntanu
yes I know but I do get the request sometimes so I just try to give it a fair change. If nobody is interested then that's clear but I won't know without asking :)
Posted on 2003-05-16 11:25:35 by Hiroshimator
i am in favour of an OS design forum... except i'm afraid that it, too, shall go the way of WA.
Posted on 2003-05-16 17:35:08 by jademtech
new fourm "64 bit assembly", after the launch of the amd64 desktop it will become a bigger issue. might as well start now!
Posted on 2003-05-16 23:36:33 by Qages
how about a free software fourm ?
I come acrost good stuff all the time.
I would like to know If anybody has had
problems with this or that free program.
some poeple don't have time to hunt around
for free software .(or the acess to spend time hunting)

I got lots of thank yous for posting
free software sites .
Posted on 2003-05-16 23:52:09 by rob.rice
I suggest thse new forums:
Hammer Area
Are you into AMD's new "Hammer"-class processors (now named Opteron and Athlon64), post your treads here. If you don't know what AA-64/x86-64 is you're not ready for this forum.
OS
not the Olympic games but Operating System, post your threads regarding OS development/design here.

As for the possible confusion due to forum plentieness, we have moderators that can move threads, and if they're over worked then I'm sure Hiro can requit some more. :)
Posted on 2003-05-17 06:10:19 by scientica
Afternoon, All.

I agree with Bogdan on this one.

Threre have been queries regarding OS and assembler/compiler construction every now and then. Unless a specific forum is made, it's difficult to gauge the interest in these subjects.

I kinda compare it to the electronics forum. Not many queries regarding it, however once it was made, it's taken off.

If there's not much/no interest in a forum for a month or two, then it'd be better to just dlete it.

Cheers,
Scronty
Posted on 2003-05-17 06:25:58 by Scronty
Yes to OS design :alright:
Posted on 2003-05-17 06:28:12 by Qweerdy
i though OS and games are two BIG things that really worth to learn/discuss, especially with assembly language :grin:
Posted on 2003-05-17 06:34:12 by dion
I agree with Bogdan also.

One forum for OS and tool design would be nice.

Privalov can't have all the fun making his own assembler :grin:
Posted on 2003-05-17 12:52:30 by ThoughtCriminal
I am interested in both the assembler/compiler and the OS/bootloader ideas, the first in particular.

I come up with my own parsing algorithm, and I think it would be good fodder for all to look at (it's implemented in C++, though.)
Posted on 2003-05-17 14:34:47 by Paulicles the Philosopher
Do not hesitate to post it, Paulicles... :)
Posted on 2003-05-17 16:32:22 by JCP
I will make a GeoCities website describing my original parsing algorithm, because it would be too hard to do it right here.

But I still can give a few details.

1. It's bottom-up.
2. The grammar syntax is stored as a tree structure.
3. The is a list of tokens, and the is the top of the syntax tree.

Examples will be coded in C++, because that would best describe it (although I should code a superfast impl. in ASM for a release app.) An earlier version of my code can be found at http://planet-source-code.com/vb/scripts/ShowCode.asp?txtCodeId=5703&lngWId=3, but it is primitive.

My algo still pretty good for a guy without a formal ed. in cs, even though the latest version probably has hidden bugs :grin:
Posted on 2003-05-17 19:36:33 by Paulicles the Philosopher