Hi I have a Radio Shack PCB etching kit and I would like to make a PCB, but the PCB etching solvent is Ferric Chloride!!! A quite dangerous chemical to dispose of in large volumes into the public water system! So I was wondering once I am done with the solution what do I do to dispose of the left over?
Posted on 2003-05-16 17:21:08 by x86asm
Been years since I used that stuff, remember it turnng my fingers brown instantly.

I hate to admit I just poured it down the drain.

Maybe you could evaoprate the liquid and put the rest in the trash. Locally we have a service from the town where you can bring any sort of nasty chemical and they will handle it for free.
Posted on 2003-05-16 17:46:54 by Ernie
Call you local fire department, they will give you advice on community services that can dispose of such chemicals in an enviromently sound way.

PS: look them up in the phone book, or just pop by, but dont use 911 for this ;) . As well be honest in the amounts of chemical your talking about. 2 litters or so is alot to pour down a drain pipe, but its not alot for them to handle... (dont make them think you have barrels of the stuf ;) )

:alright:
NaN
Posted on 2003-05-16 18:22:55 by NaN
i read somewhere that there is other chemical stuff for this etching that not mentioned as ferry cloride. need to check it later .
Posted on 2003-05-17 06:14:12 by dion
well, its name is ammonium persulfate. someone said its behave better but slow, so someone might be add a catalyst

bye
Posted on 2003-05-18 06:52:42 by dion
Its been a long time since i was etching my own boards. I dont know what the chemical was was, but it was a greenish-blue color. I used two types of tanks to etch in:

One was a fish tank with a fish tank heater. The heater helped the reaction go faster (a cheap accelerant here).

The other type of tank was a larger plexiglass enclosure with racks for your PCB. It had a recirculation pump that would spray the boards with the chemical. This was a very nice process. Made fast PCB's...

Hope it is somehow inspiring...
:alright:
NaN
Posted on 2003-05-18 18:21:58 by NaN
This is how I make a PCB. I print the layout on a OH-sheet. Put the sheet on the PCB board covered with fotoresist (manufactory applied) with the printing side against the copper (important). On top a glaze plate. Then I illuminate it with a UV bulb. Then I put the board in a tank with a foto developer (sodium carbonate dissolved in water at temp 25) degree Celsius. Etching in another tank with sodium persulphate solution (powder dissolved in boiling water and etching at temp 50 degree Celsius while stirring). Wash the board in water.

Regards
Posted on 2003-05-19 01:08:40 by minor28
If you really want to avoid the chemicals you could use an end mill to machine the copper off. This has the added bonus that you can drill your holes at the same time.
Posted on 2003-05-19 02:11:38 by eet_1024
Ya i agree there eet_1024, I started an X-Y drilling arm for such thing (basically automating a dremel tool), but never finished it... (as is 80% of my 'on going' projects ;) )

:NaN:
Posted on 2003-05-19 21:07:06 by NaN
Though I never said chemicals were bad. I've seen turtles swimming in stuff way worse than FeClO3.
Posted on 2003-05-20 03:35:43 by eet_1024

but never finished it... (as is 80% of my 'on going' projects ;) )

Welcome to the !golden-80-club :alright:
Posted on 2003-05-20 06:46:03 by scientica