Has any of you heard of program msccn32.exe?

It just used about 90% of CPU, so I just checked and it's created just today

in my window folder at about time I checked my school email, and

I just allowed it to connect when asked by zonealarm and run netstat

and it was connected microsoft.com ...

I wonder any of you ever heard of this program or has any guess what it

did on my computer....

PS: by the way, sender of email was something support from microsoft.
Posted on 2003-05-22 20:58:44 by Gandalf
you have this worm
http://www.vnunet.com/News/1140996
http://www.web-user.co.uk/news/article/?afw_source_key=%7B34B56B3B-CED0-4BE0-85B6-491D14B8ED63%7D
ive already gotten it in my email too.
my 3 virus scanners caugt it b4 it was dled.
Posted on 2003-05-22 23:35:58 by Qages
Posted on 2003-05-23 02:04:45 by roticv
Another thing: genuine MS emails *always* have the senders signature on them. They don't just have the attachment and the sentence "All info is in the attached file", and nothing else. You deserve to be punished for opening it :rolleyes:

I received the same mail about a week ago, and it got past my virus scanner. As a developer, i receive a few genuine emails from MS, so this one looked instantly suspicious. So i checked the headers, they appeared forged, so the email got deleted. It wasn't till the next day that i found out that the SoBig virus was going round.

Conclusions:

- i was happy i had checked it before blindly clicking on the attachment

- MS Support will *never* send you unsolicited email

- virii distributors rely on gullible people to help their virus spread, so don't be gullible

- be cautious of all emails, even if they come from your friends
Posted on 2003-05-23 06:12:52 by sluggy

I just allowed it to connect when asked by zonealarm and run netstat

What? did you let an unknown app connect to the internet? I'd never do that, what if it is a real troyan, and that it's just testing if it could access the inet via connecting to M$'s site.
No offence but, letting unknow apps connect to the internet, when one can stop them, I must say that's pushing you luck a little far... :rolleyes:
Posted on 2003-05-23 06:28:31 by scientica
Actually my gf opened it on my computer....

Well, I hope it's ok since I removed it manually.....

Thanks for the all information guys
Posted on 2003-05-23 07:42:43 by Gandalf
It wasn't till the next day that i found out that the SoBig virus was going round.

i always look for virus alerts at work b4 i turn my comp on. i did that day and low and behold a support@microsoft.com message appeared, lol i thought, then my vc poped up, saying virus found and deleted.
Posted on 2003-05-23 12:06:41 by Qages