Could someone please breifly explain or provide an insightful link to these questions?

From what I can make out, system symbols make the job of debugging easier on NT-based systems by providing names for system functions. With the proper flags, user-defined symbols are either inside the executable or a pdb file. Am I missing anything?

Why don't Win9x-based systems need system symbols? Is this a weakness? :confused:

Microsoft 's Windbg disassembly (API) output isn't the same as with Ollydbg or Debuggy. I'm *pretty sure* I set Windbg up correctly and am using the proper debugging flags when assembling\linking. Is there any reason for using Windbg over the other two I mentioned (besides kernel debugging)?
Posted on 2003-05-22 23:00:14 by Masmer

Could someone please breifly explain or provide an insightful link to these questions?

From what I can make out, system symbols make the job of debugging easier on NT-based systems by providing names for system functions. With the proper flags, user-defined symbols are either inside the executable or a pdb file. Am I missing anything?

Why don't Win9x-based systems need system symbols? Is this a weakness? :confused:

microsoft providing it for free, but you know, the size is big, and the bandwith is really slow.

yes, that's why its named debug symbol :)

nope, w9x has its debug symbol too :)
Posted on 2003-05-23 06:39:37 by dion
Thank you for a reply. Perhaps I'll find more information by searching the web.
Posted on 2003-05-23 11:57:34 by Masmer