Hi,

Do you code your own OS or do you plan so? Just tell a little bit more
about it. What parts have you already finished? What problems do you have?
What is your main goal?

The reason I ask is I try to code an own OS too.
It's just for fun.

to make a first step:

It's assembler-based.
It identifies PCI-Hardware.
It reads ATA (IDE) drives.
It uses paging and PMode.
It works with keyboard and PS/2 mouse

I want to have ring3-ring0 conversation
I don't want an interrupt-driven kernel
I'm not interested in other hardware only PC-AT
I'd like to have WinNT driver compatibility

It would be nice to get your ideas.

Bye Miracle
Posted on 2003-05-23 06:47:53 by miracle
I was writing my own OS once... but it's now abandoned. Look here:
http://www.asmcommunity.net/board/index.php?topic=7583
Posted on 2003-05-23 12:24:37 by Tomasz Grysztar
I am actively, well in my case activel == extra slowly
developing my SOLAR OS:

http://www.hostileencounter.com/sol_os/

-full asm, simple, easy to understand
-TASM based, maybe some day FASM or my own ASM based
-OOP GUI, mouse,keyboard,floppy,HDD drivers
-API:window creation,events,overlapped I/O for FDD and HDD, rude memory alocator
- some simple sample applications included

for now (but will have all sorts of tasking/options) :
-cooperative multitasking
-full memory / ports and Ring0 acces to all

I like it as it is for now

What i need is:
1) Netword drivers (none for now)
2) HDD drivers improved
3)assembler / relocator for it
Posted on 2003-05-23 13:43:17 by BogdanOntanu
Bogdan: if you need an assembler for your OS, maybe you should consider making a fasm port (like it was made for the MenuetOS)? All info you need for that purpose you can find in chapter 2 (already finished) of my fasm source docs (in active=extra slow developing ;)): http://fasm.sourceforge.net/fasmguide.txt
Because I was designing fasm to be assembler for my own OS but first versions were for DOS, it's made in a way that can be ported quite easily (but if you wanted full TASM compatibility it would be a bit more of work ;), altough fasm was primarily based on the TASM's Ideal syntax , and so it has many common points with TASM).
Posted on 2003-05-23 14:06:09 by Tomasz Grysztar
is planing, or i plan make my own OS, but for now i dont learn all the instructions, i nearly in this moments find a book that promises for me some ;), i will read all, also i first need two or three projects in asm :).

My goals will be be stable, fast, secure, sure ultitask.. i need question.. (i read some time paralell programming???), in the part of GUI, it will ve good loock && fell, a lot of fast, customizable, eaxy to learn and easy to use.. for programers.. and for users, in the installation time and in use time will have complete detection of hardware, i will implement OGL???, or some of my own directly for the OS.

Like you see, i will try all, but now i am very noob.

yes, i will like make the major part in asm.

But for now.. is only a dream, also i think i can 'planificate' and aparently in my mind work without any knowledge of theory or some in OS's

I need more background, ring0.., also i plan in 64 bits??, lol, i think with a 32 bit i have work.. lol

I dont know noting about IST... or some like that that some of you say.. or was VDT??

A end think.. i will offer a api.. but this api will be implemented in other OS'es for dont learn the other apis :)

Also i will see the posibility for replace the existing file formats for applications.. i have a idea in my mind.. but i will analise a little more :).

ok, that is all for me, now a question for bog what is "rude memory alocator"

GL for all, anf for me.. a personal explanation of this concept:

The look dosent exist, is you that create good or bad. In short words.
Posted on 2003-05-23 19:55:15 by rea
My OS is called: DangerOS
Please, don't use the name. :)

It does not support any old hardware - required: USB/AGP/lots-o-memory/etc... Full 32-bit protected mode operation - no 16-bit, no VESA, no BIOS, etc...
Posted on 2003-06-10 23:12:04 by bitRAKE
2 bitRAKE:

It sounds great, but how you think to draw graphics on different cards without VESA and without manufacturer docs/drivers. Some time ago I tryed to take some doc's from 3DLabs about their Permedia 2 cards (prety old in that moment) but they don't gives me anything.
Posted on 2003-06-11 03:32:01 by JohnFound
JohnFound, REally can't talk about that heRE. It isn't easy or practicle.
Posted on 2003-06-11 07:52:28 by bitRAKE
To BitRAKE:

JohnFound, REally can't talk about that heRE. It isn't easy or practicle.

Hm, I know my english is weak and I could not understand what your post means. Shame on me. :(

So, please, what is the right meaning:

1. I have some info, but don't want to share with anyone. ;)
2. The docs I have are too compex and big to write them in one forum post, but if you give me your e-mail I will send them to you. ;) (If this is true: my e-mail ishttp://www.asmcommunity.net/board/cryptmail.php?tauntspiders=in.your.face@nomail.for.you&id=6ab8fe0128ef056550554d028518470b)
3. I have info but you are too stupid to understand it. ;)

:grin: :grin: :grin:
Posted on 2003-06-11 11:19:27 by JohnFound
TO Privalov
---------------
Yes indeed i consider porting FASM very much, esp because its easy / small number of functions that it asks from OS -- this is very good ...

But as i have told you before i somehow dislike some of FASM's syntax and i will like to check where and how can i make it full compatible with TASM :D ... i am still oscilatting between this FASM port ideea and making my own assembler for Solar OS ...

To answer hgb:
--------------------
by "rude" memory alocator i neam "crude" -- "plain" -- "simple" -- "not very evolved"

I just scan a bytemap for free 4k blocks and return the found location handle.
Application must memorize handle and size for any later deallocate

BTW:
-------
There is a new version of SolarOS with 1024x768 resolution, mouse cursors
and some other minor improvements like and ACT_CLOSE message for windows
Posted on 2003-06-11 15:54:12 by BogdanOntanu
JohnFound, please don't take it personal - my comments are in regaurd to the rules of the board.
Posted on 2003-06-11 22:03:44 by bitRAKE
I never planned on writing an operating system and never will, but I'm more than willing to create drivers for any of you guys. I have some OPL FM synth code LOL! that works (with an SBI loader for instruments and tons of instruments) so with some creativity someone can use my code to make a MIDI player.

BTW, for these kind of stuff ( non-Windows) I like to use either TASM or NASM.
Posted on 2003-06-15 18:12:15 by x86asm
SolarOS is in great need of drivers :)
it is written in TASM also ...
Posted on 2003-06-15 21:47:54 by BogdanOntanu
Some years ago I've written a DPMI server, which in fact is kind of OS, just needs to use DOS as a "driver".
(So there is no need for too much low-level hardware support)

Its a simple OS, just support for Int 31h, 21h and some BIOS (13h, 33h).

Support for PE files by a PE loader in included, as well as a KERNEL32.DLL emulator dll, so some Win32 console
apps may be executed.

Japheth
Posted on 2003-06-16 02:04:42 by japheth
Hi japheth

Really interested in what u say.

Currently I'm using Win9x and PIII.
Next september I'll buy an Athlon 64, u know : the marvellous x86-64 architecture from AMD.
I'll need to port my current project to this 64-bit architecture.

I look at all alternatives : Linux-like, DOS-like, personal OS,... rejecting all non-free solutions.

What I really want is a total control over my programs - ring0 mainly, and an OS that does not spoil >32 Mo to do *almost* nothing.

So maybe your program could help me ?! I think DOS is a good basis for personal OS because it is easy to patch. And I think from docs that Athlon64 will support old systems like that.
Posted on 2003-07-02 05:40:05 by valy
Finally my previous mentioned OS project, which I put in my NIC expansion ROM continued. The details are as follows:
1. It's actually a PCI Expansion ROM, adhere to PCI 2.0, 2.1 , 2.2 and boot bootp protocol standard. :alright:
2. 32 bit Protected Mode
3. Right now only capable of booting into 32bit-PM and hangs, I'm still thinking of many things, i.e. the memory management model to use (paging, etc.), using GUI or not and much more.
4. I planned to include Keyboard and PS/2 mouse support.
5. I also planned to use compression in the OS code to be placed in the flashROM due to the space constraint (63KB).
Any suggestions will be very helpful for me :D

currently developed under Linux using GNU tools.

The current source code can be downloaded in this post :D
Posted on 2004-02-24 02:44:31 by Pinczakko
pretty interesting topic here. as you may know, i'm also writing an operating system. it sould be a really big project which should get complete somewhen...
i consider it even as a "diploma project" (as we call it in our school), but i don't know if this plan is accepted.

to the facts:
i initially started with a complete os coded in fasm - but when it came to the gui i somehow failed with the routines - it was also difficult when i didn't know how to exactly solve a problem and i had to try; this took often days.
so, i ported my os to gcc, i don't have recoded everything yet.
generally i've done:
- mouse and keyboard (already ported)
- some window-thingys, moving, redrawing (not ported yet)
- preemtive multitasking is pretty advanced now
- the graphics work ok now (with vesa)
- ya, everything done with paging universally coded for every kernel-size. sure, i've already done simple memory management (i like the 4k-chunks-bitmap :) - so easy, so simple)

i've always coded on my own - a one-man-project as i can manage my ideas easily with myself :).

greets, hartyl
Posted on 2004-02-24 03:18:50 by hartyl
long time ago I had an idea to build own OS :D
Very nice idea like every kind of thinking which come from the unsleeped nights close the lovely keyboard and more lovely p 133Mhz ;).
Those days the life was easiest than never after that.

For more details, I was on the way to do OS much better than all MS Windows products.
The OS had to gives you the Blue Screen not only when you do something wrong but every time you do anything
:grin:

But the MS had worked in secret and after many years they developed such system like this in my dream.
The name of the system is XP and gives you not ony the blue colour with critical errors before end of booting operation but really great vulnerability for many kinds of attack incuding buffer overflow and a lot funny bugs made by MS_fellas :alright:

I was late ... and now it is very hard to catch the speed of MS development
:(
Posted on 2004-02-24 09:02:19 by HarryTuttle
Strangely enough SolOS GUI has a blue background by default :grin:

So you get a blue screen every thing you do :P

Unfortunately while my OS advances it will become possible to change that color in my Control Pannel ...
Posted on 2004-02-24 09:08:59 by BogdanOntanu