Ok, this question i do for i dont understand the whole thing about boch, like i understand you need make with other tool a virtual partition in your hd and then put there your OS??, can you put a little example of all of this?

also what diference and adventaje from develop in a floppy??

i see in this speed of reboot.

The other question is, if i develop for put in a boch partition, how many change i need for put in my HD???
Posted on 2003-05-23 20:08:44 by rea
Hi,

imagine the following scenario:

- you code your own OS
- there is no debugger at the very beginning
- you're trying to enable A20, entering PMode, setup paging etc.
- you write your assembled code to disk
- you reboot the machine
- nothing works, ofcourse you have no glue
- you reboot your machine
- goto step 3 for atleast 1000 times :)

better:

- use Bochs to get a virtual machine on your physical machine for testing
- or use another physical computer to test the shit

Bye Miracle
Posted on 2003-05-26 07:00:23 by miracle
I use another machine by my side to test on the real thing,

But i agree i could use Bochs to test some stuff, if i only could make it work... besides you must always test on the real thing PC's, as many of them as you can... Bochs uses only a limited kind of hardware
Posted on 2003-05-26 09:01:49 by BogdanOntanu
One big advantage of BOSH - it's slow!!! And if you make your OS to work good on BOSH - on real computer it will be lightning fast. :grin: :grin: :grin:
Posted on 2003-05-26 10:48:34 by JohnFound
lol... nice, i am reading now the other sources nondot is great, also now i understand how to use boch and i can make some boot with it fr the examples, now i see is great know that i can test my os without reboot my real computer, and then, when i need a real test i will reboot my comp.

ok, the only thing that i need ask, is necesary that i "format" the .img??.. like i see isnt necesary (only the first steps without nothing about fat for the moment)
Posted on 2003-05-26 13:02:40 by rea
If I remember correctly, you need to "fdisk" (or whatever) the image file to create partitions on it before formatting it.

I've been meaning to play around with WinBochs again the last month but haven't gotten around to doing so.

BTW: I run a forum about OS emulators and virtual machines. Discussion is mainly about running the Mac OS on a PC (yes it can be done), but many people there are familiar with Bochs and the like: http://forums.delphiforums.com/MacEmulation

1. Bochs
2. DOSEMU
3. KDE On Cygwin_(and CYGnome)
4. Virtual PC for Windows
5. VMWare
6. Win4Lin
7. Wine

My interest in assembly is sparked by a desire to enhance the Windows port of one of the Macintosh emulators called Basilisk II.
Posted on 2003-05-26 17:05:42 by Masmer
Im found difficulties too. Can it emulate from DISK DRIVE? I have a program to test, But it a .Com. Bochs is not user Friendly.
I want bochs using as easy as Emux8086, but keep free and Open-Source.
Posted on 2003-10-08 21:43:19 by realvampire
VMware rules....If it only had a debugger, my life would be sooooo simpler.
Posted on 2003-10-28 22:00:58 by GogetaSSJ4