I have installed HLA, and want to get started. But every time I try and run the sample program "Hello World" to test the installation, I get the same thing: "could not open hw.hla". Does anybody know why? I am using the intro to "Art of Assembly Language" by Randall Hyde as a guide. If I type hla -? I get the HLA help menu, which seems to confirm that it is installed, but I cannot run the sample program.
Posted on 2003-05-29 08:48:40 by Bustaroms

I have installed HLA, and want to get started. But every time I try and run the sample program "Hello World" to test the installation, I get the same thing: "could not open hw.hla". Does anybody know why? I am using the intro to "Art of Assembly Language" by Randall Hyde as a guide. If I type hla -? I get the HLA help menu, which seems to confirm that it is installed, but I cannot run the sample program.

You've done a "dir" and verified that "hw.hla" is, indeed, in the current directory, right?
That would be the main reason I can think of that HLA couldn't find the file.
Posted on 2003-05-29 10:44:00 by rhyde
Randall,

I used the "dir" command and verified that the file is there. It is called "hw.hla.txt". I saved it as "hw.hla", but Notepad placed its ".txt" extension on the end. Could this be the reason why it won't open?
Posted on 2003-05-29 20:40:56 by Bustaroms
That is definitely the reason it won't open. Remove the .txt from the end, if you do it right you will get a warning from Windows that the file may be unuseable. If you have "hide file extensions of known file types" checked, you cannot change the extension, you have to uncheck that in TOOLS/FOLDER OPTIONS/VIEW from any open folder menu.
Posted on 2003-05-29 20:47:35 by donkey
Just as a little tip, the "hide file extensions of known file types" option should never ever be turned on. It is a hackers dream option. I can send you a file called myfile.avi.exe that will only appear as myfile.avi on your system. If I give the exe an avi icon you will assume it's a harmless video file when in fact it can be anything. Always turn this option off, it was only ever included in Windows to make it more MAC-like anyway.
Posted on 2003-05-29 20:54:50 by donkey
Donkey,

That's it! Problem solved! I Removed the ".txt" extension and ran "hw.hla" again. It worked.

Thanks, Donkey! :grin:

By the way, do you know if that file extension trick used by hackers is the way "Trojans" are spread? I think I have a few on my system that "Norton AntiVirus" can't remove.
Posted on 2003-05-29 21:45:36 by Bustaroms
No talking about that kind of stuff here ;) but no, they are not exactly the same thing.
Posted on 2003-05-29 21:49:30 by donkey