Hi All friends,

"Integrated Canesta Keyboard" is that really? or fake ?

BTW: *. wmv file

http://www.ug.bcc.bilkent.edu.tr/~oerzen/keyboard.zip
Posted on 2003-06-02 14:28:30 by CYDONIA
It must be fake. You can't possibly see the red light-beams in the air. Right?
Posted on 2003-06-02 14:46:06 by Delight
Posted on 2003-06-02 14:47:37 by Delight

Posted on 2003-06-03 06:20:49 by dion
Think of all possibilities in using this tech: 3D/CAD modelling and animation will be a lot easier, at least :).
Or playing VR games :grin:
Posted on 2003-06-04 01:58:25 by Ultrano
That keyboard must be a hologram. :)
Seriously,maybe in the future,we will use holographic keyboards.
Posted on 2003-06-04 02:48:23 by Vortex
a hologram! yes! that's my next question :tongue:

i was dreaming someday i'll see a hologram, a term used in movies to describe projection in the air . the most perfect example is like in star trek... what its name? i dont remember it :(

btw, is there any tool like this one? or at least someone developing it? if the theory of crossing lights is work, then it is possible i think. just using six [3 couple need to perform the crossing] very fast scanning light that its size and shape can be adjusted, and convert a part from monitor system and interfacing it. so, it will scanning now in the air. and tada!! i would see that perform in the middle of the night in a big yard :)

uhm... one again, not long ago, i found a website claim that it selling a HID using brain's nerve signal attached to user's finger. so, just imagine that you play, then it would play like what you think. is it real?

thanks
Posted on 2003-06-05 07:07:28 by dion
Hmm. I've read in a book from 1950 everything about holograms. I am not 100% sure about whether it's all true. So, they say that everyone can make a hologram at home, and you can even make a low-resolution one with incoherent light (using whatever lamp you have). But in all cases, the way to make a hologram is : place the object somewhere, illuminate with laser, have a mirror placed under specific angle, take a picture with a normal camera (still-picture), but the film must be with very high resolution, and I think it was special with its ability to record phase information about image. There was also some small window, but I don't remember where it had to be placed. After you've taken a picture, remove the object, illuminate the film with laser (the film must have been chemically processed), and look through that window. Only then you will see the object where it was. But only with looking through that window, and you must not move anything (mirror, window, laser,...). I once saw some info on holograms on the net. Google around, I think there are some museums with holograms.
What bugs me about holograms, is that in that book, from 1950, scientists wrote that soon (before 1960) the hologram TV will have spread, and that there were already hologram movies, that have been recorded on cassettes, as big as the video cassettes at that time, and that making a holo-TV set is not difficult. Now, in 2003, I do not see any holograms except for in the sci-fi movies and the like.
In that book, there were many things that were in early stage of development, that are now present, so I think it can't be a total joke. Mobile phones, bullet trains (well, not in so early stage of dev), melting metal without heating it (now mostly used in clearing sillicon for chips)
I think computers are enough fast today to handle processing of hologram images, but, there must be some major difficulty that prevents holograms from flooding the world. Laser hazard? Maybe. Ah, I will someday google to find what the problem is :)

HID is partly possible, I think. I've read at a magazine that the nerve signals can be captured and visualized with the help of a computer, but do the visualisation does not show what you're thinking about, but is like spectrum vis from the signals that are on the brain surface. It is possible to control the PC with this spectrum vis, but you first have to teach the PC what to do on each 'picture' you invoke. Like in the finest speech recognition, where the program first wants you to say some specific words to learn how to identify you and what you're saying.
From finger? I doubt one can get one's brain waves from there.
Anyway, this is what I've read from several places, and what I've concluded from what I've read, so I'm not sure :P .
Posted on 2003-06-05 11:02:00 by Ultrano
http://www.business2.com/articles/mag/0,1640,41314,00.html

so, they've finally made it !
*all trembling from excitement*
Posted on 2003-06-05 11:38:52 by Ultrano
The keyboard was one of Time's top 10 inventions of the year last year, iirc.
Posted on 2003-06-06 23:25:30 by jademtech
i think the resolution of holographic film is something like 4800 lpi... you also have to be very still while making a hologram. some people at our school do them, but since we are near a subway line, we need a lot of dampening and luck, hoping that nothing will pass underneath during the capturing of the image. we use a coherent light source (i.e. a laser) for our holograms.

sometime last june/july, some company finally succeeded in making a holographic harddrive. the problem everyone else was facing had something to do with breaking down at room temp, i think.
Posted on 2003-06-06 23:32:55 by jademtech
IMO: You never like this keyboard when you try it. The good keyboard must provide tactile feedback to the user. I don't think this keyboard can make it. BTW: This is the reason sensor (capacitive, pieso and so on) keyboards don't become popular, regardless of it's extreamly robustness. This kind of keyboards are usefull maybe for laptops and handhelds but nothing more.
Posted on 2003-06-07 00:50:25 by JohnFound
Hm... maybe they can install an infrared laser to burn your fingers whenyou hit a key :tongue:

i also forgot - there were some dome which i read about in PC Mag, iirc, that has an insane amount of RAM that displayed a rendered image in 3D, to be used for medical imaging.

man, sorry - i can rarely source my ramblings :tongue:

:stupid:
Posted on 2003-06-07 14:39:07 by jademtech
Personally, I'm sick of my mouse and keyboard clicking all the time. I couldn't care less for the feedback. The real feedback is on the screen if your computer has more than a 25MHz processor.
Posted on 2003-06-08 00:15:12 by Hel
Personally, I love the keyboard and mouse feedback, I fully support what JohnFound wrote. My keyboard is Turbo-Plus, and I can't use any keyboard that has less feedback. And I love clicking randomly with both buttons of the mouse while waiting for some process to complete.
I was once designing a power LF amplifier with sensors, but the prototype sensors just didn't feel right- I never knew whether I had pressed the button or not, and verifying this was time-consuming. The sensor technology exists for 40 years , and is very cheap and easy to implement. If it was good to have no feedback, then there would be at least 10 well-known products with sensors till now, don't you think so? :)
Posted on 2003-06-09 15:43:39 by Ultrano
Another neat invention, Electronic Ink. Goodbye CRTs and LCDs! The trees will happy, too. ;)

http://www.eink.com/technology/index.html
http://www.eink.com/news/releases/pr69.html
Posted on 2003-06-09 16:12:31 by iblis
This is actually impressive. 160 ppi is simply great! :alright: :alright: :alright:
Posted on 2003-06-09 16:42:29 by JohnFound
what a COOL one, i hope the product is going popular immediately, so i can buy it cheaply :)
Posted on 2003-06-13 08:00:50 by dion
Ultrano,

You can always get feedback from these things by turning on the sounds for the keyboard (at least) in windows.
Posted on 2003-06-14 21:02:10 by Hel
True, but I meant I want to feel how my finger touches the keyboard/mouse, this feel lets me verify if I'm pressing the key I want, and that I press only one key at a time, and in the moment I decide that I should really press the key, I really press it. Also, I guess I'm a bit lazy, so I leave all my fingers on the keys, and when I need to press a key, I slide a finger over the surface and press it. The same thing with the mouse.
Now, imagine working with such a projected keyboard: you code 16 hours/day, and during these 16 hours, you've got your hands or fingers floating in air, so that you don't press keys all the time. I would get tired in 5 minutes :)
But if one is going to use that keyboard for a mobile device, I guess one will never continue typing for more than 5 minutes :P, thus it is perfect. No more confusing writing of sms :) . Well, the only time I saw confusing typing with a small matrix keyboard was on a Siemens (that phone that is starring in Matrix2 :grin: ) . It was the phone of my ex-classmate's, and I tried it: Press A, it writes "A", press again, it writes "Hum", pressed again it writes "GSD". Now, what's the algorithm :confused:
Posted on 2003-06-15 00:32:03 by Ultrano