I don't know if you guys have any interest in disabling this, but I wanted to and found this.

Just a FYI thing

http://www.theeldergeek.com/messenger_service_popups.htm

*Click Start > Run and type "services.msc" (no quotes) in the Open: line and click OK

*In the right pane, scroll down to Messenger.

*Double click Messenger and click the General tab.

*Under Service Status: click the Stop button.

*In the Startup Type: drop down box, select Disable.

*Click Apply and OK.

Another method to rid your system of this annoyance is to block NetBIOS ports 135, 137, 138. and 139 through the firewall. Each firewall uses a different method of blocking ports. Consult the firewall documentation or website for information on the proper procedure.
Posted on 2003-06-03 07:47:39 by gorshing
just disable the "windows messenger service" (no, this is not MSN ;) ) in your services control panel tab :)
Posted on 2003-06-03 08:15:53 by Hiroshimator
You can also type "net stop (or start) messenger" at a cmd prompt, batch file, etc.
Posted on 2003-06-03 11:11:49 by Will
My favorite method:

net stop messenger
rundll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection windows\inf\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

Bye bye messenger ;)
Posted on 2003-06-03 12:13:50 by iblis
It was designed originally for simple communication between workstations on a lan/wan. You type a message and send it to another user, and they get a little message box with the text.

I've never gotten any adverts through the messenging service, but I'm pretty sure that service isn't running anyways.
Posted on 2003-06-03 14:01:34 by Will
It's a useless service for most people, unless you are on a college LAN in which case it's annoying. Every few weeks you get an ad urging you to go to some website who's address is typed l i k e s u c h and which promises to help you enlarge certain body parts ;) After seeing that first ad, I turned off the service.
Posted on 2003-06-04 17:15:04 by Hel
The only time i turn that service on is when i want to message some lame ass warez kiddie who has just attempted a connection to my port 21. About 2/3 of the attempted connections are from people running some version of windows, and they get a bit of a fright when they see my message pop up telling them to f*ck off. I have pinged people after i send them a message, and i see their ip suddenly become unreachable (probbaly because they pull the plug on their modem), most entertaining ;)
Posted on 2003-06-05 05:36:50 by sluggy

The only time i turn that service on is when i want to message some lame ass warez kiddie who has just attempted a connection to my port 21. About 2/3 of the attempted connections are from people running some version of windows, and they get a bit of a fright when they see my message pop up telling them to f*ck off. I have pinged people after i send them a message, and i see their ip suddenly become unreachable (probbaly because they pull the plug on their modem), most entertaining ;)

Haha :tongue: that is funny, I hadn't thought about doing that
Posted on 2003-06-05 07:33:32 by gorshing