In the Project>Add New submenu, "ASM file" and "INC file" don't make a lot of sense to HLA programmers. This should really read "HLA file" and "HHF file" or (if generic is desireable) "source file" and "header file". In the dialog box that comes up, it would also be nice if the filter included ".hla" or ".hhf" if the user is adding a file to an HLA project.
Ditto for modules (someone needs to explain to me what a "module" file is and how it differs from an assembly file - is this the difference between a main program and a separately compiled program? I'm not sure at all here).
Cheers,
Randy Hyde
Posted on 2003-06-05 15:04:41 by rhyde
Hi Randy

The hla project files will be fixed in RadASM 2.0.2.5

Here is a simple masm project showing how to use modules. I don't know if modules can be used with hla.

KetilO
Posted on 2003-06-10 04:00:26 by KetilO

Hi Randy

The hla project files will be fixed in RadASM 2.0.2.5

Here is a simple masm project showing how to use modules. I don't know if modules can be used with hla.

KetilO

Okay, I'm looking at the .rap file that is part of the download you provided:

Menu=1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1
1=4,O,$B\RC.EXE /v,1
2=3,OT,$B\ML.EXE /c /coff /Cp /nologo /I"$I",2
3=5,OT,$B\LINK.EXE /SUBSYSTEM:WINDOWS /RELEASE /VERSION:4.0 /LIBPATH:"$L",3,4
4=0,0,,5
5=rsrc.obj,O,$B\CVTRES.EXE,rsrc.res
6=*.obj,OT,$B\ML.EXE /c /coff /Cp /nologo /I"$I",*.asm

0=Module.rap
1=Module.rc
2=Module.asm
3=Module.obj
4=Module.res
5=Module.exe
6=Module.def
7=Module.dll
8=Module.txt
9=Module.lib
10=Module.mak

My assumption is that the ",2" at the end of

implies that the assemble command builds "Module.asm" (which is "2" in the
list), is this correct?

Now the "assemble modules" command,
says to assemble all asm files. Does this also include Module.asm (it doesn't seem to do this), or does it only assembly the asm file that are not a part of the main project?

In any case, HLA certainly supports the concept of separate modules via HLA units. However, the approach I'm taking with the RadASM/HLA combination is to have RadASM run MAKE on a makefile with an appropriate "build option". Quite frankly, using MAKE isn't the best way to do this from a RadASM point of view, but the advantage of the scheme is that it provides a "common interface" between RadASM and command line usage (i.e., someone can select "Build" from the RadASM make menu or type "make build" from the command line and the exact same code executes).

In any case, there is no reason at all HLA's units (with a ".hla" suffix, still) shouldn't be able to appear in the modules list. However, the "file filter" for the Add Module option needs to allow ".hla" files as well as ".asm" files.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde
Posted on 2003-06-10 10:51:41 by rhyde
Hi Randy

My assumption is that the ",2" at the end of

implies that the assemble command builds "Module.asm" (which is "2" in the
list), is this correct?

Correct.

Now the "assemble modules" command,
says to assemble all asm files. Does this also include Module.asm (it doesn't seem to do this), or does it only assembly the asm file that are not a part of the main project?

If you look at the projects files:

1=Module.Asm
2=Module.Inc
3=Module.Rc
4=Module.dlg
5=Module1.obj
6=Module2.obj
1001=Module1.asm
1002=Module2.asm

you will see that the modules have numbers >1000
When Assemble Modules is selected from the menu, RadASM enters a loop assembling files >1000 one by one.

In any case, there is no reason at all HLA's units (with a ".hla" suffix, still) shouldn't be able to appear in the modules list. However, the "file filter" for the Add Module option needs to allow ".hla" files as well as ".asm" files.

This should have been fixed in RadASM 2.0.2.5

KetilO
Posted on 2003-06-10 16:02:10 by KetilO

Hi Randy

This should have been fixed in RadASM 2.0.2.5

KetilO

Okay, guess it's time for another download :-)
Randy Hyde
Posted on 2003-06-10 16:08:10 by rhyde
Randy,

These topics are sort of covered in the Help file. The command line is explained in the Advanced Topics/Command line options page and the modules beginning at 1001 is in the Customizing RadASM/Project Files page under Section .
Posted on 2003-06-10 16:17:49 by donkey

Randy,

These topics are sort of covered in the Help file. The command line is explained in the Advanced Topics/Command line options page and the modules beginning at 1001 is in the Customizing RadASM/Project Files page under Section .

Oh yeah!
I'm quite familiar with this pages right now.
I've been working on the RadASM chapter in "Windows Programming in Assembly Language" the past few weeks and I've gone through the whole process of setting up RadASM for use with HLA and customizing it quite a bit. The work you did on the HLP file was quite useful, too.
Most of my problems have been on the order of "try out this menu item to explain how it works" and then I run into problems because things aren't set up properly...

I figure in another day or two I'll have most of the kinks worked out and I'll have a new hla.ini file (and radasm.ini file) for HLA users, along with a couple of templates and sniplets that are useful.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde
Posted on 2003-06-10 18:43:57 by rhyde