Hello,

I've done ARM assembly before, but I'm now trying to get started on the PC using the HLA language.

To try and learn I'm going to try to write a tetris style game using assembly.

What worries me is if HLA alone is enough to allow me to set up an 800by600 pixel screen (with bank switching) and allow me to read keys from the keyboard buffer to move the pieces at the correct speed.

Do I need to learn DirectX? (Maybe read more than the HLA manual?)

I'm just starting to learn and it would be nice to know what is possible before I invest a lot of time with HLA.

Thanks
Jim
Posted on 2003-06-07 09:29:59 by jimbrobb

Hello,

I've done ARM assembly before, but I'm now trying to get started on the PC using the HLA language.

To try and learn I'm going to try to write a tetris style game using assembly.

What worries me is if HLA alone is enough to allow me to set up an 800by600 pixel screen (with bank switching) and allow me to read keys from the keyboard buffer to move the pieces at the correct speed.

Do I need to learn DirectX? (Maybe read more than the HLA manual?)

I'm just starting to learn and it would be nice to know what is possible before I invest a lot of time with HLA.

Thanks
Jim

If you want to do this with graphics, you'll need to learn the Win32 API (you don't really need DirectX for something like Tetris, the Win32 API should be sufficient).

I would suggest, however, that if you're not already familiar with the win32 API in C (or some other HLL), tackling both the win32 API and x86 assembly at the same time is going to be a lot of work. You're much better off starting with console applications when learning assembly under Windows and moving on the Win32 API later.

HLA (like any assembler running under Win32) certain provides the tools to let you link against the Win32 dynamic link libraries, which is how you access the video display and other I/O devices under Windows. So you don't have any fears there. I've yet to see a single example of a Win32 assembly application that couldn't be written in HLA...
Randy Hyde
Posted on 2003-06-08 17:14:56 by rhyde