What is Delta?

What do CALL Delta do?

Also do it works for XP and NT

Thanks in advance
Posted on 2003-06-07 19:59:05 by cmax
Usually you Call Delta to get hotel reservations or Airline tickets :grin:

Seriously though are you using it as an API call ? I could find no reference to it at all.
Posted on 2003-06-07 20:07:39 by donkey
In the version of doco i have (the latest MSDN), there is no mention that "Delta" is a windows API call.

In general life, the "delta" is one of two things:

- the difference between two objects, usually measured over a period of time

- the mouth of a river

The term "delta" is used a lot with source code repository systems like VSS or CVS, they typically work by only storing the delta in a file after you check it in, ie if you check a file out, add one line, then check it back in, then only the difference (or delta) is tracked by the source system.
Posted on 2003-06-07 20:15:02 by sluggy
Do you mean something like this?

call delta
delta:
pop eax
sub eax, 5

The code is used to find entry point.
Posted on 2003-06-07 23:29:06 by roticv
That 's was really funny donkey, Great timing, Thats a good one.. he he...

I notice that mob use it in a lot of his coding samples than i saw your post roticv in the lattest protection descussion.

I think i better look a little closer at the codes before i post.

I did not notice the label style mark... but saw it else where. So you can call a label... I never paid it any attentent until now.

call delta
delta:

Thanks
Posted on 2003-06-08 03:30:32 by cmax
:grin: Well no one ever said you need to create a frame stack in a function. It's the same thing.

The code should work NT and 9x since it works on the mechanism of the opcode call. When you call a function, the return address is pushed onto the stack. The 'pop reg' just pop the return address of the stack. 'sub reg,5' just gives you the entry point.
Posted on 2003-06-08 03:45:24 by roticv
Delta? Smells fishy. :)
Posted on 2003-06-08 05:07:33 by Vortex
Delta is the fourth letter in the Greek alphabet:) :grin: :)
Or maybe you're asking about delta-coding, that's a coding type that virii uses.
Posted on 2003-06-08 09:56:47 by inFinie
This is my delta code:

start

pushad
pushfd
call delta
delta:
pop ebp
mov eax,ebp
sub eax,offset delta-offset start
sub eax,00001000h
Posted on 2003-06-09 09:30:47 by stwu
I don't understand why you sub eax,00001000h. Are you finding imagebase?
Posted on 2003-06-09 09:51:55 by roticv
IIRC 9x loads exe files on address 4000000h and code sections starts at 1000h after image base
so if you sub 1000h from start of code section you will get to the start of PE header.

Btw hardcoded values are not good idea
Posted on 2003-06-09 19:52:17 by Mikky
I call delta and it works. So I change the word to *Concord* so i can visit hutch and a few others on the first day i release my program just to say thank You... :)

ZOOMmmmmm

But just for the record this was my very first time EVER in my 3 year very carefully watched program and i had at the "very lease" learned not to miss a lick and kelp all executes down so nothing else get blamed if something go wrong.....

What happened is that "call my LABEL" stalled BIG TIME the very first i did it. It took about 3 seconds before it did it job.

Than i close my program and started over again and never from that point ever saw a stall againl. It ran like Hell, or just as good as my old PROC.

The only thing i did was to change my 3 year PROC to the *label plus return* and than that happened.

As you may know i do love the OS but never trusted it fully.... which only make good since...

This tells me that the operating sytem it is doing something it has no business doing. masm is MS written so....

Anyway, I like it...

Hey dude

Virus is something i have no respect for and i have no respect for someone even looking at a rookies like me to even beable to read such s**t.

I love asm not bull s**t and i don't need it because i have been taught by the best and not by _______ .

anyway I say NEVER.

But always good that someone check things out so KOOL but remember i am not the (1)

PS:
I fugure by next year i be so good at assembler that i will beat ANY viris ASSie including XP if it carry one. So we really don't need it... and i really believe that...
Posted on 2003-06-13 02:36:06 by cmax