Hi All,
I've just posted the first six chapters (500+ pages) of my new book, "Windows Programming in Assembly" onto Webster. This book teaches Windows programming in assembly using the Win32 API.

Ultimately, I plan to have a total of 13 chapters in this book.
Check Webster often for new chapters and updates.

http://webster.cs.ucr.edu

Cheers,
Randy Hyde
Posted on 2003-06-11 16:39:35 by rhyde
Hi Randy,

Well, as a GoAsm user, I will need to think a little bit to work out your examples, so I cannot comment on them too much. But at first glance the text is looking very interesting, especially chapters 5 and 6. This is coming from a "former BASIC programmer" perspective.

Some unamed folks will undoubtedly complain about your use of HLA. It is your baby, I would do the same in your shoes, even though I do not use HLA myself.

Keep it up!

Greg:alright:
Posted on 2003-06-11 18:54:41 by bushpilot

Hi Randy,

Well, as a GoAsm user, I will need to think a little bit to work out your examples, so I cannot comment on them too much. But at first glance the text is looking very interesting, especially chapters 5 and 6. This is coming from a "former BASIC programmer" perspective.

Some unamed folks will undoubtedly complain about your use of HLA. It is your baby, I would do the same in your shoes, even though I do not use HLA myself.

Keep it up!

Greg:alright:

Well, i would have to disagree with that, although i don't use HLA, you can basically understand what is going on if you know any "dialect" of ASM, and since it's a perfect documentation of how to use some of the very useful APIs (aside from MSDN...which sometimes is a pain), i think it's great!

:alright:

good job! :)
Posted on 2003-06-12 12:37:29 by Drocon

Well, i would have to disagree with that, although i don't use HLA, you can basically understand what is going on if you know any "dialect" of ASM, and since it's a perfect documentation of how to use some of the very useful APIs (aside from MSDN...which sometimes is a pain), i think it's great!

:alright:

good job! :)

One quick comment-
Don't forget that the HLA compiler provides the option of converting HLA source code to MASM, TASM, FASM, and Gas source code. Therefore, if some sequence in "Windows Programming in Assembly" stymies you, you can always run the compiler and take a look at the low-level code HLA produces. The result isn't pretty, but it should clear up any problems with not understanding HLA source code.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde
Posted on 2003-06-12 23:47:26 by rhyde