Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 263837
OLEXP: How to Manually Remove and Reinstall Outlook Express in Windows 2000

The instructions for the removal of oe in that kba do not work. Microsoft's site doesn't exactly make it easy to submit any type of online question/comment. When I actually did make it to a 'customer support' type of page, I was forced to create a hotmail account, just so I could login to their damned nazi passport service. Then 'outlook express' wasn't even included in the list of options. Maybe I should've looked for 'internet explorer'? I'm completely fed up with trying to navigate through their site though. I did post this question on their newsgroup though. Maybe someone there will be able to answer this question.

But in trying to remove oe, I came up with another question. When I rename or delete any of the dll's or exe's in outlook express' program folder, they automagically get re-created/re-copied a few seconds later. Being the curious guy that I am, I renamed one my masm apps as "wabmig.exe", deleted the original wabmig.exe, copied mine over, and ran it. A few seconds later I saw that my RUNNING app had been renamed, and the original had been recreated. How in the ****did they do that?

Even though I'm extremely curious how they managed that trick, I'd be happy just to be rid of oe once and for all.

....and please don't tell me to install linux. This is a work machine and I'm forced to use win2k here.

thanks,
will

edit: The add/remove programs control panel app doesn't even work for removing outlook express. It makes you wonder why there's even an option to remove it if it doesn't work. -shakes head-
Posted on 2003-06-12 12:01:10 by Will
It's called Windows File Protection, or WFP for short. It was invented because MS thaught that everyone was a dumbass and needed protecting from themselves. Actually, it was implemented as a way of protecting critical system files, especially ones that are likely to be intefered with by virii, like winsock.dll. But MS's idea of what files are "critical" differs from mine, IMHO OE is definately NOT critical.

To get rid of OE, you will first have to delete its files from winnt\system32\dllcache folder. Once they are gone, you can just go and delete the OE folder from \program files. Them you can do the same with Windows Media Player :)

Ars Technica have previously detailed a method of turning off WFP, but i consider it to be incorrect because i found it not to work in various situations.
Posted on 2003-06-12 17:20:46 by sluggy
That's the problem. As part of the instructions in the kba that I mentioned, I renamed those files in the dllcache dir. (The first time following those instructions I deleted them, but that didn't work so I followed the instructions to the letter and just renamed them. It didn't make sense to me, but I figured that I couldn't complain about it not working unless I did it exactly like they said.)

I'm at my wits end here.

Besides, why the f**k should I have to go through the registry and system dirs, when there is an entry for outlook express in the add/remove programs app? I tried removing media player via the add/remove programs app as well, but it didn't work either. The same thing also happens when I delete the media player files. They just recreate themselves.

that's just bad business,
will
Posted on 2003-06-12 18:28:15 by Will
Disable Windows File Protection (Windows 2000/XP)

http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/790/
Posted on 2003-06-14 19:52:44 by SFinegan