Hi there.

I have been reading the HLA manual (only first 2 volumes so far). Can HLA be used to make windows applications, like MASM? I read the first three MASM tutes from Iczelion, and they seem to cover stuff not mentioned in the HLA manual.

Can HLA produce console applications, or is its output restricted to the DOS screen?

While I'm at it, are these Iczelion MASM tutes up to date (ie, do the apps they produce) work in Win XP, and how does HLA fair on that same front?

Cheers,

CaptainKirk
Posted on 2003-06-19 21:06:12 by CaptainKirk

Hi there.

I have been reading the HLA manual (only first 2 volumes so far). Can HLA be used to make windows applications, like MASM? I read the first three MASM tutes from Iczelion, and they seem to cover stuff not mentioned in the HLA manual.

Can HLA produce console applications, or is its output restricted to the DOS screen?

While I'm at it, are these Iczelion MASM tutes up to date (ie, do the apps they produce) work in Win XP, and how does HLA fair on that same front?

Cheers,

CaptainKirk

Almost all of the Iczelion tutorials have been translated to HLA. You can find them in the "Examples" download module on the HLA Download page.

AFAIK, they work fine under XP. They may not take advantage of any XP-only features, but I don't think anything has been broken.

Also, you'll want to check out the first few chapters of my new e-text on Webster "Windows Programming in Assembly". See
http://webster.cs.ucr.edu/Page_win32/0_win32asm.html
While you're there, be sure to get the Win32 API documentation for HLA (warning: this is well over 1,000 pages long!).

Actually, in many respects, Win32 GUI programming a little bit easier under HLA than with MASM32 because of HLA's syntax. HLA still has a little catch-up to do with respect to the header files, but most of what you need is there today.

"Windows Programming in Assembly" (WPA) is a work in progress. So it will be a while before it's finished. But if you read the chapter on the C<->Assembly Connection you'll learn how to translate C documentation to "HLA-ese" so you can use that information to cover whatever WPA hasn't gotten to yet.

Randy Hyde
P.S. I'm expecting the next chapter of the book, on Graphics, to come on-line in early July.
Posted on 2003-06-20 11:39:55 by rhyde
Thanks for the links. I am glad to hear that HLA is useful in terms of real application programming for win 32, as I am interested in game programming. I find the style of the text easy to read and well paced. Thanks for distributing it for free.
Posted on 2003-06-20 22:05:59 by CaptainKirk