Hi Ketil,

I've been using Scintilla, but your RAEdit looks pretty cool.

Are there any docs besides the .asm file?

In other words, what is the best way to learn the control.

I assume that it is the control you use in RADAsm so I assume that its source code would give usage eamples.

Is it difficult to do systax coloring for other languages than asm?

Thanks
Posted on 2003-09-29 14:14:56 by msmith
Hi msmith

All the documentation can be found in the SimEd / RAEdit. You can download it from my website.
Most messages used in RAEdit are compatible with the RichEdit messages.

RAEdit can syntax hilite any words and the wordlist is created by the user.

KetilO
Posted on 2003-09-29 15:05:47 by KetilO
Hi all

Here is a little "Get You Started" on using RAEdit in VB.

KetilO
Posted on 2003-09-30 07:14:08 by KetilO
that's just what i really want!!!
thanks dude!!!
Posted on 2003-09-30 13:50:02 by optimus
Hi Ketil,

The VB demo is great!

It affords a quick and easy way to test your control.

My Basic compiler outputs asm, so I'll be studying the SimEd code to see how you drive it from asm.

I am using FASM, so there will be some minor differences of course.

The main thing I miss are the message prototypes that are usually provided like in MSDN.

Your control really looks great and I'm ready to move away from Scintilla to use RAEdit.

Before I undertake the chore, could you tell me if there is a function (message) to GOTO an arbitrary line supplied by the user. This seems to be the only rudiment missing from SimEd.

The only other thing is margins. Can you set the margin to a symbol on a line for a breakpoint?

Also, it was not apparent how to change the color of operators, etc. such as !, [,]...

Also when I tried to set a color to $0080ff (orange) nothing seemed to happen.

Thanks again for such a great control!
Posted on 2003-09-30 21:15:26 by msmith
It's so nice. I've put it into my 8051 emulator IDE (written in VB). Thanks very much and inform us if any new updates.
Posted on 2003-10-03 09:10:51 by optimus
I found a problem.
When using in a vb app, RAEdit sometimes cannot catch arrow keys and TAB key. Sometimes the focus just jump to another control (all controls' TabStop property has been set to FALSE). I place RAEdit in a FrameBox and there are lots of other controls in the window. I don't know if its my app's problem or RAEdit's.
Posted on 2003-10-03 09:32:55 by optimus
Hi Optimus

Will you try this version of RAEdit.dll

KetilO
Posted on 2003-10-03 13:06:30 by KetilO
Does anyone know if the margin on RAEdit can hold symbols or markers such as breakpoint indicators?
Posted on 2003-10-03 19:43:42 by msmith
The TAB key now works! But when using arrow keys, the focus still jumps to the nearby control.

Hi Optimus

Will you try this version of RAEdit.dll

KetilO
Posted on 2003-10-03 22:59:45 by optimus
Hi msmith

The margin can hold 8 different bookmarks (symbols).

KetilO
Posted on 2003-10-04 03:25:51 by KetilO
Hi optimus

I will have to play a liitle more with the VBDemo. Just give me some time to try it out.

KetilO
Posted on 2003-10-04 03:28:01 by KetilO
Hi Ketil

You really do good work!

I have run into a strange problem. If I set lf.lfWeight=600, it causes the font to become bold as expected, but it causes strange behavior with select and backspace. It also appears to tab untabbed text.

This control working fine otherwise so far. It is much nicer than any such control I am aware of. I especially like the ease with which I can do syntax coloring. I have officially dropped Scintilla.

Scintilla did have one nice feature that you might consider. It allows the transfer of a buffer to the control based on only buffer address and buffer size in bytes. That makes it easy to swap screens with buffers and loads somewhat faster than your stream method. It appears that yours works like RichEd in this respect which is at least good for compatability.

Thank you.
Posted on 2003-10-04 20:51:52 by msmith
Hi msmith

RAEdit does not work well with all fonts / fontstyles.

Scintilla did have one nice feature that you might consider. It allows the transfer of a buffer to the control based on only buffer address and buffer size in bytes. That makes it easy to swap screens with buffers and loads somewhat faster than your stream method.

RAEdit supports WM_SETTEXT / WM_GETTEXT

KetilO
Posted on 2003-10-05 01:55:32 by KetilO
ok no problem!! thank u very much KetilO for what u have done!

Hi optimus

I will have to play a liitle more with the VBDemo. Just give me some time to try it out.

KetilO
Posted on 2003-10-05 11:06:51 by optimus
Hi KetilO

I just noticed that when I do a WM_GETTEXT and save the buffer to a file, that there are no LineFeed characters following the CR.

This is not a real big deal to me, but most other editors will not read these files properly.

Is the a "switch" for this?
Posted on 2003-10-05 16:40:19 by msmith
Hi KetilO,

RAEdit supports WM_SETTEXT / WM_GETTEXT

That's what causes the "chopping" off of the LF chars.

Your VB example does not chop off the LF chars because it uses stream I/O.

My program using WM_SETTEXT / WM_GETTEXT does.
Posted on 2003-10-06 09:49:34 by msmith
Hi msmith

WM_SETTEXT removes lf chars since RAEdit does not use them. Only way to get them back is by streaming the text out.

KetilO
Posted on 2003-10-06 13:16:45 by KetilO
Hey KetilO, when can RAEdit's the arrow keys issue be solved? I'm really looking forward to it.
Posted on 2003-10-07 23:14:52 by optimus
Hi optimus

Sorry to say it cannot be solved. If there are certain controls on the VB form then VB takes control over the keboard.
Nothing to do about that but to avoid putting these controls on the same form as RAEdit.

KetilO
Posted on 2003-10-08 04:45:47 by KetilO