Ok, im frustrated. Im a simple man, who has his likes and doesnt stray to far from these niches.

When it comes to gaming (which is more or less infrequent these days), my game of choice is Unreal Tournament. I know its passe these days, but i still enjoy it.

About a month ago i went to play online like i usually do, and it didnt load and gave me a "Critical Error", GPF. I was in a hurry and didnt feel like figuring out the problem so i left it. Reciently i wanted to play again, and once again i got the message.

I took the time to uninstall and reinstall UT (with service pack patch). When all was said and done, it crashed again at the same point, with the same message. Im suspicious its my OS and not the game at this point. So i upgraded my Win98SE with the latest service packs, and direct X 9. Still no improvements.

Im stumped. At this point, All i can think if is format & reinstall the OS. Which i dont want to do. I have 3 years of crap built up and would take me all weekend to prepare for such a thing (especially for an hours worth of fun & games).

Below is my Error message. If anyone knows or has a clue what the problem is, let me know. I dont think its hardware drivers etc. cause i never upgraded them over the last 3 years, and they always worked without a hitch. I have a GForce 2 card, and 256 Mb ram, and besides they game always worked flawlessly (no flicker, nothing) in the past. So im thinking perhapse the uninstall didnt clear out the registry or something?? (Could the bug persist here even through a reinstall)

Your thoughts?? I tried the online page for UT, but it only gave me a service pack i already had. Its not that either.

:mad: NaN :confused:
Im totally Jones'n to snipper someone :P
Posted on 2003-06-21 12:25:07 by NaN
Hi NaN,

First try Unreal Tourment safe mode parameter with:

\UnrealTournament\System\UnrealTournament.exe -safe

(Or startmenu shortcut link)

and try change to supporting 3d devices. I think "software rendering" best for first try. Because Unreal Engine not used any render standarts. If working with Software rendering try other 3d standarts.

I hope help you,

Regards,
Posted on 2003-06-22 06:03:39 by CYDONIA
Try selecting "show all devices", And select the OpenGL driver, it's said to be experimental, but those times I've been playing UT the render has been OGL, and no problems (at least not those times I've played it), the gfx is really nice, sometimes software/DX mode seems a little like cheating, one sees soo much (in comparision to OGL, the lame lightning illuminates too much).
Posted on 2003-06-22 06:36:29 by scientica