What is a good linux distro to use? In the past I have used slackware and rh. Eyecandy would be nice :-). Something which I can burn onto cd, and easy to setup.

Thanks
Posted on 2003-06-21 23:12:48 by Gunner
Eyecandy has nothing to do with the Distribution, its a matter of what WM/DE you use and how you set it up :)

I did use Debian & RedHat before and am now a happy Gentoo User. As you have some experience and if you like a slim not bloated Distribution like Slackware, take a look at Gentoo. Expecially the portage system is a great thing to have :)
Posted on 2003-06-22 06:12:57 by bazik

What is a good linux distro to use? In the past I have used slackware and rh. Eyecandy would be nice :-). Something which I can burn onto cd, and easy to setup.

I've only used RedHat Linux, for real usage, I've tested some LiveCDs, Knoopix, Gentoo (UT2003 demo), DragonLinux (not a live CD), SuSE (6.4, only got the basic stuff (one special Cd), so far I've chosen to stick with RedHat (currently 8.0).

Bazik, will gentoo suoport Opteron/Athlon64? I've been thinking of Gentoo, it's just that it's seems to require some reading before I can get started, (re)compiling everything give me a bit of fear, my experiences tell me there a re bound to be errors, lot's of them unless I RTFM (/me, impatient). Would you recomend Gentoo over RedHat?
Posted on 2003-06-22 06:31:39 by scientica
>> Bazik, will gentoo suoport Opteron/Athlon64?

I am no Gentoo developer, but I can be save to say "yes", as GCC supports this platforms.
When the first Gentoo developers got their hands on a machine with that CPU, they will start testing it and release a stage tarball soon. Feel free to donate a box to speed up the process ;)

>> I've been thinking of Gentoo, it's just that it's seems to
>> require some reading before I can get started,

Yes.

>> (re)compiling everything give me a bit of fear, my experiences
>> tell me there a re bound to be errors, lot's of them unless I RTFM (/me, impatient).

Well, every package in Gentoo is tested, so its very seldom that you get a compile error using the stable Gentoo tree.

>> Would you recomend Gentoo over RedHat?

Depends on the user. You cant really compare RedHat and Gentoo... for a Windows used Newbie, RedHat would be the best to go, for a experienced Linux User who is looking for some more speed and quality, Gentoo is the best way to go.

Everything above is written of my personal opinion :)
Posted on 2003-06-22 06:40:25 by bazik

Depends on the user. You cant really compare RedHat and Gentoo... for a Windows used Newbie, RedHat would be the best to go, for a experienced Linux User who is looking for some more speed and quality, Gentoo is the best way to go.

And for the experienced DOS user (like me) Gentoo is also the best choice IMO.
Posted on 2003-06-22 07:53:34 by Tomasz Grysztar
Ok then, I will check out Gentoo :-)
Posted on 2003-06-22 12:34:26 by Gunner
Ok, I'll start reading the manual(s) :alright:
Posted on 2003-06-22 15:07:25 by scientica
I give gentoo 5 :alright: s too, once you get it running it's extremely easy to use and to keep up to date and running.
Posted on 2003-06-22 15:50:59 by Hiroshimator
Ok, just printed out all of the docs earlier today for easier referance. I think I will try stage 1 install, just have to download and burn the images. Any optimizations I should know about for 1 gig of ram and P4 2.4ghz? Do I still need a swap file with all the ram?
Posted on 2003-06-22 18:51:52 by Gunner
Nah you wont need a swap partition but its save to have at least a small one. Cant hurt with todays harddisk sizes ;)

I used the following CFLAGS wich gave me a rock solid and fast system on my P4:

CFLAGS="-march=pentium4 -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -mmmx -msse -msse2 -mno-3dnow"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"

Take a look here for some information or search forums.gentoo.org for "cflags".
Posted on 2003-06-23 10:30:27 by bazik