Hi KetilO,

I know, this idea isn't a real need RadASM feature, but maybe you think
it's worth to implement it someday:

My wish is the possibility to see a (small) documentation of a procedure or
a variable by clicking on a button (or something) in the property box and
showing it in a message box or something!
Sure, double click brings me to the procedure but often I don't want to
leave the function I'm in.

Maybe it could be implementes by a special parse string like ";docu=" to
put it in this documentation feature and to differentiate it from normal
program-documentations.

Example:
.data
MaxChar db 1000d ;docu= Maximum of characters

or

MyRandom proc
;docu= Generation of a random number

I hope you understand what I mean?!

Anyway, thanks for this great tool!

Best regards,
BoostMan
Posted on 2003-06-27 03:42:22 by BoostMan
That would be a very cool addin. You could store the variable or proc in the rap file with the comment then when the mouse hovers over the entry in the properties window display the docs in a tooltip. I would use a right click menu item to attach the doc to the item. You would have to have a cleanup routine to clean out the deleted or changed items but it would be do-able.

I think I just found my next addin project :)
Posted on 2003-06-27 04:04:59 by donkey
It would be nice if we could see .data? also in the properties window.
Posted on 2003-06-27 04:19:58 by AceEmbler
The .data? section is included in .data
Posted on 2003-06-27 04:41:12 by donkey
Was there older version of RadAsm that didnt show data? or i had got delusions ???
Posted on 2003-06-27 05:46:58 by AceEmbler
SpAsm has this feature and i have to admit while using
RADAsm I am missing it.

SpAsm right click feature is great. Right click on an api and get
a box telling about its params. Right click on a variable and jump to its definition. Right click on a call procedure and jump to that procedure.
..etc.. Once you click just right click in whitespace and you land right in the place you left.

I know being able to click and get info with scrolling like crazy is wonderful.
Adding a feature like this really speeds up dev time.

I like the tool tip idea...hmmmm :)

RobotBob
Posted on 2003-06-27 05:54:14 by RobotBob
RadASM now has this feature as well. This addin will allow you to set a 127 byte comment for anything in the properties window. Use the context menu to set the comment and it will appear as a tooltip when you hover over the object. Install it like any other addin (see the help file if you don't know how).

Use YY=1 (fopt = 1)

This is a preliminary test version (you only asked today after all) but I just couldn't let RadASM be beat by Spasm (joking RobotBob I had decided to make it before your post)

EDIT: just a minor change, the tooltip won't display if there is no item under the cursor any more. I also added some color to the tooltips. Options are as follows (binary flags)

1 = NoteTools enabled
2 = Use background color for NoteTools tip
4 = Use title for NoteTools tip
8 = Use background color for RadASM tip

Add the values to get combinations.

EDIT: Removed option 16,it wasn't very good looking and changed the title to hold the currently displayed tip name.
Posted on 2003-06-27 17:02:01 by donkey
Hi donkey

Nice addin :alright: and works well.

KetilO
Posted on 2003-06-27 17:33:15 by KetilO
Thanks Ketil,

I should note that this addin demonstrates how someone can add tooltips to just about everything they want because it handles tooltips internally and does not rely on RadASM for it's tip messages. This was the only solution I could find but it might be useful for anybody planning an addin that involves tooltips.
Posted on 2003-06-27 17:41:24 by donkey
Hi donkey,

thanks for this pretty fast Add-In. I still haven't tested it, but the idea
of tooltips is nice.

Best regards,
BoostMan
Posted on 2003-06-28 11:23:01 by BoostMan
It was a great idea and I reused alot of code from my MakeDef addin so the grunt work was already done. Everyone should be thanking you for the idea, some-one should have come up with this one earlier.
Posted on 2003-06-28 11:29:36 by donkey
Hi Donkey,

your Add-In looks great, but:

- why did it cuts off the last character from the project name for the *.cmt file?
(example project name: notetools.rap, *.asm, etc. but: notetool.cmt (missing 's'))
- when I click inside the properties window the tooltips will no longer be shown!
(it works only when I start my RadASM project and didn't use the properties
window - maybe I'm doing something wrong?)

Anyway, the implementation so far is great.

Best regards,
BoostMan
Posted on 2003-06-30 03:20:08 by BoostMan
Hi donkey

If you let the note-tooltip timeout it will not show any note-tooltips at all any more. RadASM must be restarted to bring them back. Testing on WinXP.

KetilO
Posted on 2003-06-30 08:38:15 by KetilO
Bizarre, it doesn't happen on 2K or 98SE. You have to move outside of the listbox area to reset the tip but I have absolutely no problems with it here. It must be something with XP, have you tried clicking on the title bar of the properties window ?
Posted on 2003-06-30 08:45:46 by donkey
Hi donkey

Nothing seem to bring it back, except restarting RadASM.

KetilO
Posted on 2003-06-30 08:57:51 by KetilO
Hi Ketil,

It has to be something that is killing the invisible window message loop, without text being pumped into the LPSTRCALLBACK string there is no pop. I will try to make it more robust but I no longer have XP (I gave my copy away) so I have no box to test it on. I will try to borrow one soon and figure it out.

Have you tried it on other OS versions, any problems ?
Posted on 2003-06-30 09:35:37 by donkey
Hi Ketil,

Could you try this on XP, it will show a message box if WM_CLOSE or WM_DESTROY are recieved by the invisible window.
Posted on 2003-06-30 09:49:58 by donkey
Hi Donkey,

it's still not working under WinXP.
Tooltips will only be shown if I haven't "touched" an entry in the properties windows.

But the "cosmetic bug" is ok ;-)

Hope you can fix it for WinXP!

Regards, BoostMan
Posted on 2003-06-30 11:16:33 by BoostMan
Hi boostman,

Could you try the version in my post above yours (it's new) I have changed the parent of the invisible window from HWND_MESSAGE to the MDI Frame, could be that XP reacts differently to message only windows. I just tried it with Win95 and it works there as well. I couldn't find anything in the KB that deals directly with XP but I am still looking.
Posted on 2003-06-30 11:42:56 by donkey
Hi Donkey,

it was the version above I tested, and sorry, there were still these
problems under WinXP (at least on my system). After i clicked an entry
in the properties window I could no longer see any tooltips by moving
the mouse over it.

Thanks for your effort,

BoostMan
Posted on 2003-06-30 14:14:55 by BoostMan