Hi Boostman,

I uploaded yet another test to see if there are at least notification messages being sent after it fails. This one will display the notification messages in a debug window. Sorry to bug you but it is a holiday here and difficult to get hold of anyone to borrow a PC with XP on it. The new upload is in the same post as the other test versions. If there is output, could you save the debug file and email it to me.
Posted on 2003-06-30 14:18:30 by donkey
Hi Donkey,

still not working and there are no notification messages in the RadASM debug window (I hope
you mean this with 'debug window').
The tooltips just don't appear anymore after clicking an entry, even if I change the section and
the entry isn't selected anymore (hope this helps).

And: Hey, no problem about bugging me! It's a pleasure for me to help if I can.

Regards, BoostMan
Posted on 2003-06-30 15:23:09 by BoostMan
Hi Boostman,

Can you try this one out. I have been going through the XP part of MSDN and I think that I was not supposed to specify WS_CHILD when specifying HWND_MESSAGE as the parent. That might be the problem as it appears to have some backarsewards reference to the Visual Styles (that's where I found the reference), that would explain the only on XP problem. Keeping my fingers crossed but not holding out too much hope:
Posted on 2003-06-30 20:14:59 by donkey
Hi Donkey,

sad news: it's still not working on WinXP. On startup of RadASM every tooltip
is shown - even if I change the sections - but when I clicked on an entry I will
never see the tooltips again.

Best wishes you'll find the bug,
BoostMan
Posted on 2003-07-01 01:03:43 by BoostMan
Oh well, The damn debug window won't even appear in the version I posted up a bit. I'll try to find some-one with XP but to be honest I don't know alot of people who use it and will lend me their PC for a day. I'm not inclined to buy a copy of XP so installing it on one of my machines is not an option, not that I would even if I owned a copy. It's a weird problem, the addin works on 95/98SE and 2K, it uses only very standard API calls so I don't know where the problem could be. It obviously works but XP is screwing something as soon as the Listbox is clicked.

For now it's non-XP, if I get access to a PC with XP installed I'll figure it out.

Just to make sure, has anyone tried it on another Windows and found a problem or if someone can just tell me that it works on their version of Windows it might help.
Posted on 2003-07-01 01:49:02 by donkey
Hi donkey

I created this test pice, and it works well on WinXP. It's so weird.

KetilO

New upload. Tooltip changes when you move ftom listbox item to another listbox item.
Posted on 2003-07-01 09:43:48 by KetilO
This is a very weird problem. I think that XP just stops sending the messages or the message window is destroyed but the version I posted with VKim's debug window doesn't show up in XP either so there's no way to tell. When I get hold of an XP machine I'll make the window visible and see what happens to it. I'm going to see if I can set up a virtual PC on my laptop with XP tommorow but I have to get more RAM first, I'll bump it up to 512 MB, that should be enough to run XP/2K on it at the same time. My desktop PC would take too much set up to get it running.
Posted on 2003-07-01 10:41:14 by donkey
Hi donkey

Don't put too much into this as I am starting to believe it is a RadASM problem. There already is a problem with that listbox on WinXP, it does not accept strings longer than 1Kb. Weird.

KetilO
Posted on 2003-07-01 17:29:00 by KetilO
Hi Ketil,

Just as a shot in the dark suggestion, do you include a visual styles manifest in your compilation of RadASM ? That would be the only difference I could imagine between an XP and 2K version though there is nothing in MSDN dealing directly with listboxes and visual styles I would try to remove the manifest and see if it clears up the problem.
Posted on 2003-07-01 17:51:46 by donkey
Hi donkey

Removing the xp-theme solved the tooltip problem. But it is probably only part of the problem as I tried to include xp-theme in my test pice and it still worked. I also found a way to update tooltip when you move cursor from item to item. See the test pice to find out how. Also the ProcName buffer should be at least 4Kb to handle very large structures.

KetilO
Posted on 2003-07-01 19:06:33 by KetilO
Hi donkey

... and just like that it works on WinXP. Great work :alright:

KetilO
Posted on 2003-07-02 01:59:01 by KetilO
Now it works :) I have already ordered the RAM, I guess I needed it so no great loss, an extra 256MB is pretty cheap for my laptop anyway. I'm glad it's finally working, but I have decided that in addition to 2K,98SE and 95 I need an XP box to check things too. It's disconcerting to post code only to find that it won't run properly on any OS but 2K :rolleyes:
Posted on 2003-07-02 14:02:56 by donkey
Hi Donkey,

I just want to thank you for your effort finding the WinXP-bug.

The tool is great - everything is working fine.

Best regards, BoostMan
Posted on 2003-07-03 02:45:32 by BoostMan
Hi donkey

Creating the tooltips control with the WS_VISIBLE style was not a good idea.
I also got rid of the invisible window.

KetilO
Posted on 2003-07-04 16:39:39 by KetilO