What's the worst thing that could happen to a devoted Windows user?
How about finding that his or her computer has suddenly been changed into a Macintosh?
So here's a nasty but harmless trick you can play on a fellow PC owner - to make them believe this bizarre event has actually happened to them.
Tell your friend you've got a great Web site to show them on their Windows computer. Then direct them to www.yaromat.com/macos8/index.htm with their Web browser.
Before they can stop it, the computer will start scrolling up messages indicating their Windows system is being replaced by the Macintosh operating system. It'll even appear to boot up like a Mac and give them a screenwide desktop identical to the Mac's.
If your (former) friend frantically clicks on the Mac-style desktop icons they'll find a memory game to play and may eventually discover how to restore the appearance of their screen to the usual Windows design.
(Hint: Check out the trash.)
Posted on 2003-06-30 10:31:40 by Ultrano
I've seen this one before, but it works on some Win users, they panic and hit the power button (as they usually do when teh system screwes up) :alright:
Posted on 2003-06-30 11:28:36 by scientica
wow. I thought the author was joking.
I got this text from a file, called win98_tricks.doc that I use as reference for how to hide the network neighbourhood and recycle bin.
Posted on 2003-06-30 11:52:38 by Ultrano
it's much more fun to take a screenshot of their desktop, delete all their icons and then set that screenshot as their background :grin:
Posted on 2003-06-30 13:52:20 by Hiroshimator

it's much more fun to take a screenshot of their desktop, delete all their icons and then set that screenshot as their background :grin:
you mean like this? :grin: :grin:
Posted on 2003-06-30 15:19:45 by arkane
I can still see the icons.
Posted on 2003-06-30 19:55:38 by iblis
yes, the main goal is to have "unclickable icons" or should I say unresponsive "desktop" - that would freak out some users. :grin:

hiro said:

1. take a screenshot of their desktop
2. delete all their icons
3. set that screenshot as their background

so I mimic the results into a program... instead of doing the steps above.

:grin:

I wouldn't dare to remove the actual icons, that would be uNk00l. :grin:

here's more evil tips:

1. trap alt-tab, ctrl-alt-del, #-m (# == windows key, windows logo on the keyboard), ctrl-esc.... and do something different
Posted on 2003-06-30 20:49:46 by arkane
Well in that case, good job. ;)
Posted on 2003-06-30 21:16:31 by iblis
What about trapping #-d (show desktop)?
Posted on 2003-07-01 02:28:35 by roticv
#e - my computer with treeview(folder) open
#r - run window
#u - utility manager
#f - find

:grin:
Posted on 2003-07-01 10:36:38 by arkane