that was a bit weird to me, from a doc i have here it seems microsoft using 145+- instructions which are mostly 1 byte in len ..
i found it pretty weird, any idea how it really works ?
sound strange to me to use so limited set of instrucions...
which are btw have very weird Names, could be the programmers were Drunk when Naming those instructions
Posted on 2003-07-02 14:17:01 by wizzra
Hehe Forth virtual machines only use 14 primitives :D so even more limited set of instructions is quite enough

Well Intel decided to use CISC architecture as oposedd to RISC architecture

So Intel CPU's have a Complex Instruction Set :P

ie another way to say many many quite useless long instructions to keep programmers happy
while RISC CPU's use a quite limited (reduced) instruction set that are quite small and fast to load/decode/execute

The naming can be weired indeed but what do you expect from ppl that do not use ASM?
Posted on 2003-07-02 14:31:33 by BogdanOntanu
haha yes u are right =)
well, i will keep reading here and than and see what i can dig out more.
thnx
Posted on 2003-07-03 00:58:07 by wizzra
For a virtual machine, in my opinion "complex" instructions make more sense, as there's more potential to generate decent native code. Whether the current VM/JITter does that I don't know (nor care much about).

As for the naming... .net wasn't meant to be coded at the "assembly" level, and there isn't much use from doing that, except if you're crax0ring. If you want speed, hook up your bytecode with a native DLL.
Posted on 2003-07-03 01:58:10 by f0dder