Hey ...
anyone know of a way to replace win 2k/NT/98 login screen with a custom made one? I'd like to write my own login proggie ...

Any help is appreciated

thanks
The Martial
Posted on 2001-10-10 07:41:42 by MArtial_Code
as far as i know, it is possible in windows nt. you have to use a GINA.DLL to do that. please check the microsoft site for information.
i don't think that this is possible in win 98.

NOP-erator
Posted on 2001-10-10 07:51:26 by NOP-erator
i know only that at WIN98 the "login" dialogbox belongs to C:\windows\systemmprexe.exe

when U succef with your own login app, could u send me source of it, i'm just curious this subject... maybe U'll do better protection then M$, it took me about 3 min to login witha outs my password (so i'm forgeting somethings... big deal)

regards:alright:
Posted on 2001-10-10 10:40:42 by NEMO
Hi,
I think you can make your own dialog by hiding the M$'s one and showing yours. You must launch your prog by using the registry at HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunService and make your own value with the complete path of your prog.

You search for the handle of the M$ dialog then you can hide it easily.
The following shows how to press OK without pressing OK (quite good !!!), in fact, you've not to press OK and to see the dialog, the prog press OK since the dialog is shown:

;######################################
.MODEL FLAT,STDCALL
option casemap:none

include \masm32\include\windows.inc
include \masm32\include\user32.inc
include \masm32\include\kernel32.inc

includelib \masm32\lib\user32.lib
includelib \masm32\lib\kernel32.lib

.DATA
win_name db "Saisie du mot de passe r?seau",0

.DATA?
;hWnd dd ?

.CODE
start:
StartLoop:
invoke FindWindow, NULL, ADDR win_name
cmp eax, 0
jne ExitLoop
jmp StartLoop

ExitLoop:
invoke SendMessage, eax, WM_COMMAND, 1, BN_CLICKED
invoke ExitProcess, 0
end start

Change the line win_name with the caption of the dialog you want to press OK.

For your question (custom dialog), do the same, but not pressing OK at the beginning but hiding the dialog and showing yours. When you press OK on yours, send to the M$ dialog to press OK and then close yours.

I hope all will be understood !!
Posted on 2001-10-10 17:33:22 by Vom-bonjour:-()
>>it took me about 3 min to login witha outs my password

I don't believe that you did that on an NT system, you may have done it on a 9x machine, which is normal because in 9x that dialog doesn't provide security, it only provides a way to log into a particular profile (all you have to do is press <escape> to get past the dialog).

sluggy
Posted on 2001-10-10 18:58:47 by sluggy
I don't believe that you did that on an NT system, you may have done it on a 9x machine, which is normal because in 9x that dialog doesn't provide security, it only provides a way to log into a particular profile (all you have to do is press <escape> to get past the dialog).

i've nevre said that i did that on NT. i did it on win98. and one thing more, when you press escape u won't be able to see anything in your network neighbourhood which is important to me couse i'm in the LAN, and we share games, films and music for each other.
Posted on 2001-10-11 01:27:54 by NEMO
I think it would be cool just to change\replace the little picture in the startup window, "Windows 2000 is starting up" box. Anyone know how this could be acheived? Possibly even that dodgy loading window with the M$ logo on it.
Posted on 2001-10-11 08:08:07 by AlphaGremlin
AlphaGremlin, that requires a good deal of messing around. First,
you'll find out these pictures are stored inside some (system) DLLs.
You'll have to be *very* careful when editing these, and they will
most likely be in use, so you have to save to a temporary file, and
boot into that safe mode console (or whatever) to replace the files.
Next, you'll find out that windows file protection copies the original
files back, and there's a whole lot of stuff you have to do to get around this.

So... why bother :). If anybody knows of better ways to do this,
I'd be happy to know.
Posted on 2001-10-11 12:11:36 by f0dder