Somehow, at somepoint, my Girlfriend installed the web download for QuickTime when she was prompted to do so on the internet. Personally, im ok with having it on my system, but i dont want its task manager on my task bar on startup.

I've been through the control panel, and the task manager. There is no options to remove it from automatically running at startup.

I have a tool called "startup manager", which lists the registry start-up's as well as any other places exe's could start up from. However, the QuickTime exe is not listed in any of them!

I dont want to uninstall it, cause by girlfriend will complain ( :rolleyes: ), and i dont what it sucking resources the other 99% of the time when im using the CPU. Anyone have any suggestions where to go looking for it??

I've checked:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\ Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\ Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\ Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\ Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\ Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\ Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServicesOnce
C:\Windows\Win.ini
C:\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

:NaN:
Posted on 2003-07-07 13:56:03 by NaN
try Edit > Preferences > QuickTime Preferences

under , uncheck

you might also want to uncheck under

:grin:
Posted on 2003-07-07 14:23:57 by arkane
THe Quicktime i have is 5.0.2 and its not there. Its not in any sub menu. I've scoured it many times: (such an irritating peice of software)
Posted on 2003-07-07 15:09:46 by NaN

THe Quicktime i have is 5.0.2 and its not there. Its not in any sub menu. I've scoured it many times: (such an irritating peice of software)

Weird.

QuickTime Version 6 (sorry, the "Help-->About" box is not more specific than that) has it -- maybe it's time for a product upgrade?

Regards, Frank
Posted on 2003-07-07 15:40:15 by Frank
Dah!
maybe it's time for a product upgrade?

I hate logic like that!. Its my system, not QuickTime's. If is DONT want to upgrade. I shouldnt be forced to suffer with such software B.S! I truely dispise software that takes a strangle-hold of your system and expects YOU to conform. I would like to put my f@@t up the @RSE of the coder who did this.

Anywho... I finally figured out the trick to the Quicktime QTTASK.EXE, and how it shows up.

Turns out that the program Startup Manager (which i trusted) doesnt show *All* entries in the registry keys i posted above. After manual confirmation, i found out that the QTTASK.EXE has a switch after is path entry in the key "-atboottime".

With this switch the start-up manager ignores it and doesnt show up in its list. (Which i also think is absurd. Its a START-UP MANAGER! its *all* BOOT TIME starups )

Anyways, if you remove this key, it appears to not come back, and the QTTASK.EXE was not loaded this time.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
Posted on 2003-07-07 16:14:05 by NaN
I can relate... :grin:

but sometimes, there are cases that you need to upgrade to solve a nuisance without being stressed. Make sure you also search at google newsgroups for answers.

if you don't want quicktime, you can use some tricks to make quicktime files playable on other programs(irfanview...), you'll only need the necessary dll's and *probably* add an entry or two in the registry plus a plugin... same thing goes to real player... ;)

try searching google for the trick.

nice to see everything's working fine now...

try also Regmon or Filemon from sysinternals - both are free... it can be helpful at times like these... ;)
Posted on 2003-07-07 16:33:30 by arkane
Thanks for the tips.... I will look into those utilities.

(( I tried google before i posted however, but it didnt come up with anything usefull, which is why i posted here ~ I try google for *everything*. Its How i caught a worm i got from Kazaa lite once... you see it in the TaskManager, dont know what it is, and type its task name.exe in google. If you get a barage of nasty complaint results you know your on to something ;) ))

Posted on 2003-07-07 23:46:20 by NaN
Hi,

here are some more autostarts depending on the OS you are using:

c:\msdos.sys (95, 98, ME)
c:\winboot.ini (95, 98)
c:\config.sys (entries: device, shell, install) (95, 98)
c:\autoexec.bat (95, 98)
c:\win.bat (95, 98)
c:\windows\dosstart.bat (95, 98)
c:\windows\command\cmdinit.bat (ME)
c:\winnt\autoexec.nt (2000)
c:\winnt\config.nt (2000)
c:\windows\autoexec.nt (XP)
c:\windows\config.nt (XP)
c:\windows\system.ini (entry: shell) (95, 98, ME)
c:\windows\win.ini (entries: run, load) (95, 98, ME)
c:\windows\start menu\programs\startup (95,98, ME)
c:\windows\profiles\<USER>\start menu\programs\startup (95, 98, ME)
c:\windows\all users\start menu\programs\startup (95, 98, ME)
c:\documents and\profiles\<USER>\start menu\programs\startup (2000, XP)
c:\documents and\all users\start menu\programs\startup (2000, XP)

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run (95, 98, ME, 2000, XP)
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce (95, 98, ME, 2000, XP)
HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run (95, 98, ME, 2000, XP)
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run (95, 98, ME, 2000, XP)
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce (95, 98, ME, 2000, XP)
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx (95, 98, ME, 2000, XP)
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices (2000, XP)
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServicesOnce (2000, XP)

and some more :-(

Bye Miracle
Posted on 2003-07-09 08:10:04 by miracle
I use msconfig. Run->msconfig . If a task is disabled from there, it will never start again automatically, unless it decides to reset its settings every time it runs. QuickTime is the most nagging software after RealAudio and WinAmp. Squack Time :grin: resets its auto-startup settings every time you run it. And in uninstalling, make sure you choose "complete uninstall" - it does not delete your system files, it deletes its stupid dlls and unregisters them from all extensions it stole. Not to tell that Quack Time crashes every 5 minutes, and most clips for it have special 'keyframes', where it must crash. I hate those 3 apps.
Kill them with the msconfig first :)
ah, and remember, that you needn't restart the PC, though it asks you to do so.
Posted on 2003-07-11 03:20:58 by Ultrano
BHOs reside in the registry and are run with Explorer . They can be removed easily with Bhocaptor.
http://avelikosselski.free.fr/telecharger/BHOCOP.EXE
Posted on 2003-07-13 18:23:44 by Prahogi
for those type of apps that i can't get to not start up. i close the process and replace the exe with a dummy that does noting but exit apon starting.
Posted on 2003-07-13 18:30:12 by Qages

QuickTime is the most nagging software after RealAudio and WinAmp.

Thanks for the tip. I agree with these, i dont have RealAudio at all.. for exactly this reason. I do however have WinAmp. Not because i dont believe you, but because i have a version dated over 2 years ago, that still works fine... back before their product philosophy was to pollute a good product with software crap like this. Think its version 1.x or something. I dont get to have naked girls dance on my screen while playing, as i hear you can get with the most recient WinAmp and plug-ins, but this is something im willing to accept for good, sound, software.

This is also my point above. Im upset i have to deal with this version of Quicktime, which has alread begun to be polluted with bad software philosophies. Why the hell would i want to get the next version????? I've had a hard enough time battling this version! (Which i shouldnt have had to do in the first place).

Prahogi,

Thanks for the suggestion. Im not aware of this at all, so i have some reading to do ;)

Qages,

In most cases this might work, but its not right to have to in the first place. It goes back to the question, who is controlling YOUR computer? Because im plugged into the internet doesnt mean I have to surrender my CPU to bad software, that is boardline virus in nature... (like spyware)

Ah well, this is still my rant ;) . I do apprechiate everyone's comments, i dont want to give the wrong impression here. Its just my view is, my computer is for ME to control. Not some third party, as and extension of some software product doing me a favour... If it comes to that, screw it. I will put time into making my OWN version of such software, if i have to. And this is why I program ;)

Posted on 2003-07-13 21:56:39 by NaN