I messed up when I reinstalled windows and set a user name and password that are ynknowen tome I can still get the system started by clicking on cancle in the login diaglog box .
So how do I edit this or set windows to scip the login ?
I double installed something and have more than one of the same icon on the task bar
How do I edit the task bar the get red of the extra icon ?
Posted on 2003-07-11 09:22:25 by rob.rice
What version of windows?

Fixing the password is simple on WinNT/2K/XP when you have admin rights, so I assume you have another version installed - which I am at a loss on how to correct.

I assume you mean the "Quick Launch" toolbar - it is on the task bar: just right click and select delete to get rid of the extra icon, but it might be better to log into the named account and uninstall the software to get rid of the icon.
Posted on 2003-07-11 09:47:02 by bitRAKE
the login dialog: it's nothing but cutomizing your desktop and some preferences (view file extentions and so on). I guess you're on a win98. You can disable this in Control Panel->Networks. The drop-down box "Primary Network Logon:" should be "Windows Logon" . This fixed the problem for me.
The other problem will be fixed by running msconfig (Start->Run). Go to the "Startup" tab, there you see the list of programs that ever wanted to be/ are automatically loaded on startup. Find which proggie is duplicate, and get rid of it by removing the tick. I always run on all ticks off (for faster load), and when I make important changes to the registry, that I need to be saved in case it crashes, I run scanreg, that backs up the registry (and drivers and all).
:alright:
Posted on 2003-07-11 12:51:19 by Ultrano
funny thing is that the taskbar fixed itself after 2 or 3 reboots humm :-/
its windows 95 (98 is so slow I can't stand it the olny time I ever wanted to screem at a working computer was the olny time I ever ran windows 98 as a matter of fact the 266mhz running win98 was slower than a timex sinclar)
thanks for the windows login suggestion but it diden't work
Posted on 2003-07-11 20:23:31 by rob.rice
i got a copy of Win 2K pro running on a P200MMX laptop /w 32MBs of RAM. Something seems amiss /w the display drivers for the LCD screen. But it only took about 2 minutes or so to boot. No problems if i plugged a monitor into the laptop. Incidentally, the RedHat Linux dist i got while stranded, basically sans internet, in Australia took about 8 minutes to boot out of the box on the same computer. No GUIs/window managers installed.

Win 95 on my P133, PPro 150 and the laptop all seem to run at a respectable pace (i just installed 2K on the laptop to see if it would work) - except for the PPro 150, recently. i think the L1 or L2 cache (or both!) is fried... it suffered after a series of power failures induced by an old UPS. i've even seen Win 95 run on a 486 dx/33 /w 8MBs of RAM when it was new at an acceptable speed (four or five minutes to boot).

sorry... this has nothing to do with your problem, unless your cache is fried :p
Posted on 2003-07-12 20:50:18 by jademtech
about 8 minutes to boot out of the box on the same computer. No GUIs/window managers installed
lol same here! Not to say that it took me 1GB without the X-Win libraries :grin: . Definitely not a good OS for slow PCs, but a great OS for servers.
Posted on 2003-07-13 03:35:09 by Ultrano

i got a copy of Win 2K pro running on a P200MMX laptop /w 32MBs of RAM. Something seems amiss /w the display drivers for the LCD screen. But it only took about 2 minutes or so to boot. No problems if i plugged a monitor into the laptop. Incidentally, the RedHat Linux dist i got while stranded, basically sans internet, in Australia took about 8 minutes to boot out of the box on the same computer. No GUIs/window managers installed.

Win 95 on my P133, PPro 150 and the laptop all seem to run at a respectable pace (i just installed 2K on the laptop to see if it would work) - except for the PPro 150, recently. i think the L1 or L2 cache (or both!) is fried... it suffered after a series of power failures induced by an old UPS. i've even seen Win 95 run on a 486 dx/33 /w 8MBs of RAM when it was new at an acceptable speed (four or five minutes to boot).

sorry... this has nothing to do with your problem, unless your cache is fried :p

I have slack 4 running on a 25mhz 486sl 20 meg ram it boots in 1 1/2 minutes and starts X in 45 sec unless I don't shut the computer down cleanly in that case it needs about 5 minutes to check the file system ( and fixes the same inodes every time)
the 266mhz 586MMX 64 meg ram needs three minutes to boot win 95 ( I don't think a computer has booted untill I can run a program the green screen and icons come up faster than that but I cant get a program to run until that stuped "click here to start " thing is done )

you may need to go th the OEM's web site to get drivers for your laptop I know windows 95 gets the video driver wrong for Dell laptops it may be the same for your laptop
Posted on 2003-07-13 14:27:26 by rob.rice