I think that what it all comes down to is whether MS will allocate the resources to defend the EULA of a software package they give away for free that has been incorporated in a package that is also distributed freely. There has never been an indication that MS is interested in either ML or LINK and I doubt they even care about it's use anymore. MASM has long been relegated to a side lined package only ever updated for those people who inline asm in their C++/C#/C.NET or whatever it's called these days. Also I have no expertise in the laws of Australia affecting the distribution or the applicability of jusrisdictional requirements in the EULA at the time that Hutch began to distribute the package. And lastly, it's his business not mine as I get my versions by dowloading them myself from MS or purchasing the DDK.
Posted on 2003-07-14 01:01:02 by donkey
I would sincerely appreciate a minor favor from someone having access to the latest version 7.1 of MASM.

Back in 1995, Intel introduced their new P6 family of processors (starting with the Pentium Pro) and provided several new instructions for the CPU and FPU such as CPUID, CMOVcc, FCMOVcc, FCOMI, etc.

None of those instructions seem to be supported by MASM version 7.00 which is the latest I have. The minor favor I need is to insert the following lines in a source code and see if MASM version 7.10 still issues an error message for them.

cpuid

cmova eax,ebx
fcmovne st(2),st
fcomi st,st(2)

Thanks.

Raymond
Posted on 2003-07-16 09:22:27 by Raymond
Raymond, those instructions work on ML.EXE 7.0
Posted on 2003-07-16 11:07:37 by bitRAKE
for cmovcc, rememeber to use ".686"
Posted on 2003-07-16 11:19:59 by roticv
Thanks roticv. Using the .686 did the trick with version 7.0. Sometimes, a silly detail like that is all you need to get a few more gray hairs. (I was trying to use those instructions with .486):stupid:

Now, I will have to check it with version 6.14 which is the version currently distributed with MASM32.

It works also with version 6.14 :grin:

Again many thanks

Raymond
Posted on 2003-07-16 22:45:21 by Raymond