Hello, Randy.

As I've already complained, HLA appends a .hla extension to filename given if it does not end with .hla. That's really BAD practice IMHO.
I think it should check if file exists and die with an error if it does not (adding an extension is somewhat "MSDOSish", remember those .exe, .bat, .com?)

Regards,
clone-d.
Posted on 2003-07-14 04:33:09 by clone-d

Hello, Randy.

As I've already complained, HLA appends a .hla extension to filename given if it does not end with .hla. That's really BAD practice IMHO.
I think it should check if file exists and die with an error if it does not (adding an extension is somewhat "MSDOSish", remember those .exe, .bat, .com?)

Regards,
clone-d.

This isn't exactly true. HLA processes all kinds of different types of files, including .hla, .asm, .obj, .lib, .rc, and .res. HLA only appends a ".hla" to the end of the filename if that file doesn't have a suffix it recognizes (or has no suffix at all). Whether or not this is a good idea at this point is really academic - there are far too many make files, RadASM projects, etc., that don't bother sticking the ".hla" onto the end of the filename. To "fix" this problem would break a lot of code.

However, there *is* an easy solution. All of the suffix processing is done by the HLA.C/HLA.EXE program, which is a fairly simple C program. If you've got a C compiler handy, it would be a trivial matter to go in an modify this file to your heart's content.
Note that the actual HLA compiler (HLAPARSE.EXE) *does* require the full pathname to the file and it doesn't specifically require the suffix to be ".hla" (the HLA.EXE program is the one that sets up the command line for HLAPARSE.EXE).

Cheers,
Randy Hyde
Posted on 2003-07-14 23:19:58 by rhyde