I'm a newbie and my login shows that. Anyway I'd like to know how masm32 will face the new MS NET platform ? Does anyone think that it will be still alive in a couple of year ? Thanx
Posted on 2003-07-16 14:01:36 by newbie
Well, from alot of the comments I have seen about .NET at the MS developpers site I'm not sure if it will still be around in a few years in it's present form. A 10K app that requires a 25 MB framework is laughable, and sad for those on dialup. ASM will always be around however, there is always a place for compact fast code and no matter what you do everything eventually reduces to machine code and asm.
Posted on 2003-07-16 14:35:42 by donkey
That 25MB will be a part of the standard windows install in a couple years.
Posted on 2003-07-16 15:11:10 by bitRAKE

A 10K app that requires a 25 MB framework is laughable

:eek: OMG! Is it worse than Java?!?

I wish nothing but goodbye.NET, isn't it enought with Java? (well, I understand that M$ must have someway of getting the Sun off the back, I hope they'll not be able to kick away Java and replace it with .NET)
I will never use .NET if I have the choise to use others, I'd even use VB apps instead!
Posted on 2003-07-16 15:40:46 by scientica

That 25MB will be a part of the standard windows install in a couple years.

I believe it is already part of Server 2003, but the problem is that it will still need to be included or offered with every app until all other version of Windows are left behind. Just look at the amount of time you spend worrying about Windows 98 for a general purpose application and you will see the lack of insight that MS has in making the framework so large. For all of it's purported stability, there are alot of developpers who have made no secret that they are sticking with VS6. Platform portability is fluffware, it cannot be done effectively without compromising the quality of the application so that feature is useless, most quality applications that start out as portable code end up with platform specific versions.

.NET is a sidelong attack at the open source movement, nothing more. Microsoft realized that it cannot control what you create with the languages so now it want's to control the engine that those applications are run on. If .NET ever becomes required stuff for Windows it will definitely be the last version of Windows I ever own. BTW the company I work for (forensic accounting with 10,000 + employees world-wide) has the same opinion, they see it as undermining their contract programming and a sign that MS wishes to have the ability to control third party license agreements by controlling the engine needed to run the software. I have never looked into the license agreement for the framework but we all got a memo from legal affairs that it is verbotten to install it on company computers.
Posted on 2003-07-16 16:09:09 by donkey

If .NET ever becomes required stuff for Windows it will definitely be the last version of Windows I ever own. BTW the company I work for (forensic accounting with 10,000 + employees world-wide) has the same opinion, they see it as undermining their contract programming and a sign that MS wishes to have the ability to control third party license agreements by controlling the engine needed to run the software.

The last good Windows IMO was 2k, Xp realy started the terrorism M$ utilizes. I get a headace just by seeing the overbloated GUI of Xp (mortals don't know it can be made to apear less overbloated, it feels like just the captions occupies more than half the screen), everytime I hear a sound similar to windows XP's sounds I get a cold chill on my back. In short, Xp makes me sick, I haven't tried 2k3 but I'm sure it's just like Xp, but with worse bugs and more crap and .NET (dot)

I hope Linux will get more muf (mortal user friendly), so that mortals can use it, it's easy to use now, but the only problems is that the installation is much more hard than the Windows. I hope there will be computers aimed at mortal users with Linux preinstalled (perhaps windows too, on a speparate partition, and with GRUB as boot loader set to boot linux by default)
Posted on 2003-07-17 05:26:07 by scientica
donkey, given that you can call .NET components via COM I don't think that's MS' ultimate goal. They don't *need* .NET for that after all, they can just issue a restrictive license for the use of their API (any API).
Posted on 2003-07-17 07:55:03 by Hiroshimator
newbie,

To answer your original question, .NET is basically a big runtime engine and while many things will run on it, no assembler needs it for as long as API code runs on x86 hardware, you will be able to code applications in assembler.

While Microsoft would like to kill off all of the old stuff, they would not have a market if they did as there is substantial buyer fatigue with new software and great distrust of later OS versions so Microsoft will walk the straight and narrow as long as consumer demand forces them to.

They in fact do have competition on the market and that is with LINUX so they must work to keep their monopoly going or risk losing it to the open source market.

Regards,
http://www.asmcommunity.net/board/cryptmail.php?tauntspiders=in.your.face@nomail.for.you&id=2f46ed9f24413347f14439b64bdc03fd
Posted on 2003-07-17 09:16:30 by hutch--