Posted on 2003-07-17 13:49:56 by arkane
I needn't have this device. I know my 10-year-old cat:
miw - I wanna play, you human
mia - I'll claw your hand
mieeeeeewwwwwwww x 1000 - I'm hungry
miewww miewww x100 - I'm thursty
meh - leave me alone!

everything else means "I'm bored, wake up, no matter it's 2am"
or 'mieeew mieew' x infinity while I'm coding means "you're boring. I want to get out of the room"
:grin:
Posted on 2003-07-19 03:10:27 by Ultrano
Can such a thing even exist? I seriously doubt it... I mean, humans have an array of languages, each differing from each other and taught, not acquired at birth... Now, animals don't have the luxury of the means of communication we posses, and some animals grow up in isolation - what defines their language? I think each animal, even from the same species, has it's own language and you have to figure your pet's on your own - which is not very difficult. But a generic translator? IMO, no.
Posted on 2003-07-19 03:29:02 by FearHQ
All small babys talk the same language, no matter where they come from. I don't think that cats and dogs have a more developed language than a new born child.
Posted on 2003-07-19 05:12:31 by Delight
In the last post I was not kidding entirely. I know the cat for 10 years, and I can most times guess what she wants. Maybe that device will need some training for every cat. Or just guess by the spectrum of sound.
ah, I miss my previous cat, lost her 11 years ago, she's the grandmother of this one here, and could open doors by herself! I remember I could clearly understand that cat. But this one (called Snezha, or Snow-White) is , mildly said... dumb. :grin:

cats need/know only few expressions: bore, food, drink, shitter, open_the_door . ;) at least mine
Posted on 2003-07-19 06:33:46 by Ultrano