x86asm: no doubt it would be helpful if you could provide some info about your system (hardware, os, IE installed, any service packs...) How quick is very quickly? Did you get the last update after Ultrano posted the corrected demo on his site?

:)
Posted on 2003-07-24 17:11:46 by Hiroshimator
console ? :confused:
I haven't made any part of the proggie as console or anything like that. Do you mean the installer or Dreamer.exe ?
Posted on 2003-07-25 00:41:03 by Ultrano
I have a:
AMD Athlon 900Mhz
256MB SDRAM
ATI Radeon 9100 128MB
Muse Lt Sound Card
Windows 2000 (no SP)
you think I should get the latest SP?
Posted on 2003-08-02 15:37:46 by x86asm
The minimum OS for DR is Win95 with SP3. All later OSes work fine, as I've been reported.
So, you needn't get any SP. I've minimized the file to 3.85MB. Also the demo songs have been improved and increased. But still they suck, compared to what some users created with Dreamer yesterday .... for 10 minutes. I guess I'm not a good musician at all :grin: . Damn. What am I gonna earn money wit? :)
Anyway, the demo version at my site now has been approved to work.
The promotion at my site aims to get good musicians to defend DR, and make songs for it, with which I'll be able to get customers. No people so far have bought DR via RegNow :( . And I need the money for uni
Posted on 2003-08-02 17:47:29 by Ultrano
Ultrano

No people so far have bought DR via RegNow

No wonder. I'm just starting downloading, and first thing that comes in my eyes - you pushing you potential customers to purchase WinRAR since you pack demo with them. Use zip for that - everyone have it. Musical program have comparatively limited market. And finally you can tell about success/unsuccess after 3-5 months.
After downloading maybe tell you more.

Good luck.
Posted on 2003-08-04 04:14:36 by masquer
well, my logs show that every visitor to the site has downloaded the demo version. Anyway, thanks, I'll follow your advice. It's just that rar compression makes the file 3.85, while zip makes it 4.3. I'm Bandwidth mean :grin:
Posted on 2003-08-04 04:27:10 by Ultrano
every visitor to the site has downloaded the demo version

Hm, only after demo being downloaded they may just delete it. Good setup packaging software have good compression - try NSIS.
OK, downloaded :) The whole package says, that the author is a beginner (or a student) - from unacceptable smiles in help to inconsistent interface. Even if you working alone, you have to make an illusion, that you are serious company, otherwise you don't get any confidence.
Also Dreamer maybe not so good name, did you check trademarks registered? If there is any infringements found, your hoster will even close your site, so take this into consideration if you really want to sell programms.

Good luck.
Posted on 2003-08-04 05:04:16 by masquer
There is one important thing you don't have - license information.
Posted on 2003-08-04 06:00:25 by masquer
Hi,

seems to freeze my system Duron 800 Mhz under Nt4 Sp6.
Actually unusable for me but keep on running, you'll get it.

Bye Miracle
Posted on 2003-08-04 06:13:15 by miracle
hi.. I looked at your program, looks nice..

there might be a problem when uninstalling your progr.
it leaves the shortcut in the start/programs menu
I started uninstall from add/remove programs (win2k sp4, Athlon XP 1500+, 512RAM)
it installed/uninstalled very quickly
Posted on 2003-08-04 07:56:35 by Azrim
masquer, thanks. I'm now making some changes in site, so people can get better impression (or in fact, a false impression that I am professional) . I've put license info, and all now. Only thing that I can't change now is the demo package (installation, and all about the software). Musicians, that tried (and/or won) their copy of DR, are impressed, and love the interface. I guess I can cheer up, because now 4 or 5 online communities have links to my site with good words for the software.
"Dreamer" is a free name. No other software for this, except for an unsuccessful attempt to be made an open-source emulator for DreamCast.
"Ultrano" is also unique.
Azrim , there's also one file left at your hdd - c:\%win%\DreamerUninstall.exe
it's small and harmless, so I didn't bother to search the net on how to remove it. I must have forgotten about the programs\dreamer . Well, at least this way people will remember the program even after they uninstall it :)
the install/uninstall is quick, because it's only deletion of the tree
miracle, I've read somewhere that musical software doesn't run on NT4. I don't remember why.

thank you all for the support and suggestions :alright:
Posted on 2003-08-04 08:54:59 by Ultrano
I have another thought about interface :) The problem is that I, personally, hate Japanese cartoons, so I don't like intarface like this. Who can guarantee that I'm alone with this? :) Remember one simple thing - you should love and cherish your Customer and try to foresee all his moves and don't force to anything. Satisfied customer can bring you new customers, but unsatisfied can tell to everyone not to buy your program. Think about it.
Posted on 2003-08-04 09:19:50 by masquer
all such programs used in that specific 'industry' that I've seen seem to indicate that these kind of UI is the one musicians are used to. If this is the standard for those group then deviating from it would be bad.
Posted on 2003-08-04 09:22:10 by Hiroshimator
You SERIOUSLY need to change those sample .oggs ... I've collected and listened to thousands and thousands of SIDs, mods, x3ms and so forth (trackmusic from fasttracker, screamtracker etc) and alot of music made in cb, REASON etc (A friend does alot of trance/goa in Reason) and well those .oggs are really just B A D... Get someone to create something good...
Posted on 2003-08-04 09:32:13 by SFP
Hiro,

maybe you are right, but I don't think it is good to thrust the interface, which is differ from standard windows interface.
Ultrano, at least consider to make it as an option (or make windows standard interface as an option :)) - scinnable interface will be a big plus to you.
Posted on 2003-08-04 09:41:51 by masquer
masquer,

how many programs of this type have you seen with windows standard UI?
Posted on 2003-08-04 09:43:14 by Azrim
Azrim,

I don't mean to change graphics on the decks :) I'm talking about standard dialogs and main window (I mean that "main" without menu :)).
Posted on 2003-08-04 09:54:10 by masquer
:grin: well... it would be best to use the command line interface ;)
Posted on 2003-08-04 09:57:11 by Azrim
masquer, I agree with you most definately and for me such an interface is horror but it seems that to some people this is what they prefer or at least are used to.

If there's one thing a user will only do as a last resort it's learning a 'new' interface, so sticking to what they know is probably the best in this case. Even if it violates every rule in UI design.
Posted on 2003-08-04 10:39:51 by Hiroshimator

well, my logs show that every visitor to the site has downloaded the demo version. Anyway, thanks, I'll follow your advice. It's just that rar compression makes the file 3.85, while zip makes it 4.3. I'm Bandwidth mean :grin:

Try compressing in a ZIP file using WinRAR. Believe it or not, you get better compression ratios. :grin:
Posted on 2003-08-04 12:02:05 by QvasiModo