I am wanting to write an executable with encrypted code to make it more difficult to dissassemble it.

So I would need to:

1. Write the executable.

2. Take the code section and encrypt it.

3. Put in code to decrypt it and write it into the code section ( Self modifying ??)

I can do 1 and 2, but don't know who to do #3.

Thanks, Andy Kennedy
Posted on 2003-07-20 23:22:17 by skywalker
Take a look at this. But of course I could not get it to work on all systems. It does work on my win2k though.
Posted on 2003-07-21 03:06:14 by roticv

Take a look at this. But of course I could not get it to work on all systems. It does work on my win2k though.

Thanks, I forgot to specify that I wanted it in 16 bit code.
Posted on 2003-07-21 08:39:40 by skywalker
Andrew, just forget about it :) - well, from the "security" angle at least, it can be a fun thing to do.

But... especially for 16bit code, unless you do something "rather tricky" (which I doubt you are, since you have to ask these questions), dumping & reconstructing a fully working executable is piece of cake. This is not only for .com, but also .exe.
Posted on 2003-07-21 08:52:33 by f0dder
But... especially for 16bit code, unless you do something "rather tricky" (which I doubt you are, since you have to ask these questions), dumping & reconstructing a fully working executable is piece of cake. This is not only for .com, but also .exe.

Actually that's what I want to say...
Posted on 2003-07-21 09:05:58 by roticv