Really bad phun there...

Anyways, Donkey has convinced me that my stubborn ways are too outdated, and i should check out RadASM. KeltIO, this software has blown my socks off! Great work!

I have one suggestion for you so far. The collapsable proc's are a great idea. However how hard would it be to take it to the next level, and make .if/.elseif/.endif .while/.endw loops collapseable to?? It would make this soooo fast for writing detailing logic statements, and then reconfirming that your source is correct, by expanding them by hand when you double check.

This would make registers state clearly seen as you check your logic.

mov edx, 34
mov esi, 3
.if (something
xor edx, edx
some more stuff
.elseif (... )
mov eax, edx
.if (esi == edx )
blah
.endif
.endif

THis is a lame example, but the idea is if you can collapse large "chunks" of logic code you can see better the states of the registers before they jump into the chuch your looking at.

Anywho, its ok if you think im nutz to.. This is a great piece of work! Its only a thought im having...

:NaN:
Posted on 2003-07-21 21:43:47 by NaN
Ah Nan,

As usual Ketil is one step (or more) ahead of us. Check out this thread:

http://www.asmcommunity.net/board/index.php?topic=14393
Posted on 2003-07-21 21:46:57 by donkey
Great...

Another thing i just noticed lacking (again very mild point), is a count of the chars selected.

Here is why..
    mov LVcol.pszText, CStr("FileName")

mov LVcol.cchTextMax,4

For the field cchTextMax, it wants to know how many chars are in the pszText pointer. Instead of hand counting them with the cursor, UltraEdit would tell you how many chars you have selected (SHIFT + CURSOR as far as the text "FileName") and in the status bar it would say "Bytes Sel: 8". If nothing is selected, it would revert to the current file size.

Anywho, some more things to think about.
:alright:
Posted on 2003-07-21 22:20:35 by NaN
Hi NaN

Good idea. I will add it.
For the collapsing .elseif and .else mayor rework is needed, so it will not be included in my next release.

KetilO
Posted on 2003-07-22 02:03:04 by KetilO
Collapsable if/else blocks would be *nice* but definitely not a necessity from my point of veiw ;) .

However thanks for listening..

:alright:
NaN
Posted on 2003-07-22 11:40:58 by NaN
I have another suggestion for you....

When moving fragments of code around I often go "SHIFT+HOME" to select the line. However, with UltraEdit, the first hit will select all the line text back to char zero, but stop when no more text is found (before the tab/white spaces). If i indeed wanted the *entire* line with white space, you simply hit HOME one more time while still holding down the SHIFT key. If i continue to hit HOME a third time, it would toggle back to the previous selection, eliminating the preceeding white spaces, etc. etc. etc.

Here is what Im getting at:

x == selected char
| == cursor position

[b]Starting code to cut and move[/b]:

mov eax, edx[b]|[/b]

[b]Hit SHIFT+HOME:[/b]

[b]|[/b]xxxxxxxxxxxx

[b]Hit HOME again with SHIFT still down:[/b]

[b]|[/b]xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

[b]Hit HOME a third time with SHIFT still down:[/b]

[b]|[/b]xxxxxxxxxxxx

[b]Ready to copy and insert, somewhere else in another indented .if/.else structure[/b]

The bugger is i have to mouse to the beggining to the code fraqments to do this in RadASM by doing SHIFT+END.

You might think this is a petty suggestion, but if you try it out on other editors that do this you will quickly see why its good to have. Basically it allows you to control code indenting while cut & pasting code fragments around.

Anywho, thanks for your time.
Posted on 2003-07-22 18:59:07 by NaN
As well, Another HOME action im starting to miss is when at the beginning of a line (char zero) and want to move to the first char in the line. You would just hit HOME.

Since you *are* at the HOME position, it would jump to the first char in the line (over all white spaces simular to above).

Now that im not at the Home position, and somewhere in the line, hitting HOME from here would 1) jump back to char 0 (as RadASM currently does) if only white spaces are im between char 0 and the current postion, or 2) just to the first non white space in the line (if anywhere else in the line).

[b]Example 1 (Cursor start arbitrarily in the line):[/b]

xor eax, eax
[b]|[/b] mov esi, [edx]
.if( NaN_Wont_Shut_Up )

[b]HOME key:[/b]

xor eax, eax
[b]|[/b]mov esi, [edx]
.if( NaN_Wont_Shut_Up )

[b]HOME key:[/b]

xor eax, eax
[b]|[/b] mov esi, [edx]
.if( NaN_Wont_Shut_Up )