Greetings all,

I have been looking over different game development tutorials using DirectX, and it doesn't seem like this is something that I would like to use.

The main thing that I don't like is all the COM related things. Again this is just coming from me reading a few tutorials and articles, I have no experience with DirectX yet.

But I would like to hear different peoples opinion of what is good to use to development games.

Thanks,
Posted on 2003-07-23 07:29:35 by gorshing
IMO, if you're to do DirectX do it the high way (C++), I gave up DirectX in asm longitme ago (COm gave me a real head ace). I prefer OpenGL (better IMO), but I'm far from good at it (but I'm better on it than I ever were on DirectX :rolleyes: )

What's best for games, well I'd have to say it's best to implent both. (So that the user can choose, fast uggly graphic or a little slower but much nice graphics, hard choice ;) OGL, OGL, OGL :alright: )
Posted on 2003-07-23 07:47:35 by scientica
I personally prefer DX, it is very easy to use (for me) and OpenGl looks too much HLL and slow and not low-lever (again for me). the lack of Directinput/Sound/play from OpenGl means that you will have to use DX at least partially anyway for a game on Win32ASM...

But many many many ppl,prefer OpenGL ... i just wonder why...do they go with mainstream :P
mainstream is always a lie ...but who cares and then who knows?
Posted on 2003-07-23 07:52:45 by BogdanOntanu
I think DX is the way to go. OGL from what I've seen of it, is graphics only and slow, and I haven't seen any examples that look better than what's being done with dx. Not all cards support it either. Also, DX has DirectMusic with the Microsoft synthesizer which makes putting sound and music into the game fairly easy compared to other ways.

As far as COM goes, it's not that hard to understand. There is a thread on this board where you can get the dx9 includes which includes a fairly easy to understand example of how to use them.

Good luck and have fun.
Posted on 2003-07-24 16:21:42 by djinn
dijin: Where did you see this thread with Dx9 includes? I only see Dx8.1 includes...
Posted on 2003-07-24 16:50:02 by FearHQ
Posted on 2003-07-24 19:17:31 by djinn
I personally would use OpenGL. I've found in many games that support both D3D and OpenGL, OpenGL was faster (on both my Radeon 9100 and GeForce2MX). It is much easier to use than D3D and proper use of extensions and vertex/texture coordinate arrays will really help you and once you know how to use this stuff u will wonder y u used D3D in the first place.
Posted on 2003-07-27 13:13:38 by x86asm