Topic Unlocked.

Play nice guys.  ;)
Posted on 2012-09-27 10:22:43 by Synfire

Topic Unlocked.

Play nice guys.  ;)

I'm still waiting for Homer to explain how his method would clip the triangle defined above.
Posted on 2012-10-06 07:36:29 by Scali

I'm still waiting for Homer to explain how his method would clip the triangle defined above.

Unless someone has a better answer to the original question of why does D3D perform clipping after perspetive projection transformation?, then I simply ask that better judgement be invoked and to let this thread die with what little grace it has left.

In the future, if there is any significant deviation to a thread, please respect the original poster (and anyone else who is looking for a direct answer and not a flame war) and split/fork the off-topic portions to a new thread.
Posted on 2012-10-06 09:56:40 by SpooK

Unless someone has a better answer to the original question of why does D3D perform clipping after perspetive projection transformation?, then I simply ask that better judgement be invoked and to let this thread die with what little grace it has left.

Well, that is where the problem lies, I think.
I tried to answer the original question (I felt that none of the previous answers explained why some books may say one thing, and the D3D documentation says another).

But Homer apparently did not agree with my answer. Thing is, although I have given sources that support my answer, Homer has not quite done the same.
Now, I am open to the possibility that there is more than one answer to the question. And if Homer indeed knows of another (perhaps superior) method of clipping, then perhaps we can all learn from that.
But for that, he would at least have to explain his method more clearly. Either by explaining it by himself, or by linking to some sources that explain how it works (such as wikipedia or MSDN, like I did).
Homer seems adamant that his method works, so I expect that he can explain it to us. It could be that 'better answer' we've been waiting for, but so far he has not explained it to a degree where it actually is an answer.
I think it is still somewhat on-topic, since different types of clipping approaches may require different pipeline orders (which is the reason why I originally answered this thread, as mentioned above). And if I understood Homer correctly, he is referring to a method used by D3D/OGL.
Posted on 2012-10-06 12:11:21 by Scali
Chill out guys... its only the Internet.
Posted on 2012-10-16 04:34:35 by comrade

Chill out guys... its only the Internet.

Blasphemy... Duty Calls!
Posted on 2012-10-16 09:05:14 by SpooK
Move along people, nothing to see here ;)
Posted on 2012-10-17 04:32:27 by Homer