Guys, I was just wondering is it better to make own graphics in asm or use DirectX.

If better to make my own graphic algo's can you show me in the right direction.

:alright: thanks in advance!
Posted on 2003-08-02 15:48:14 by Tweak
what do you mean with "own graphics"?

- own video display -> no way, directX is the only compatible way
- own 2D/3D functions -> directX will be MUCH faster, if your hardware is accelerated, if not (e.g. laptop hardware)
own functions do make some sense
- own buffering / synchronizing -> directX offers some good functions for this, no need to "re-invent the wheel"

DirectX offers no algorithms (except some simple coordination transformation), so you have to implement yourself.
Posted on 2003-08-04 03:51:09 by beaster
I should have been more specific. What I was talking about how do create my own images using directX. Like for example if I wanted to write tweak in bold letters going around a globe figure.
Posted on 2003-08-08 07:40:21 by Tweak
remeber that using directx u will not be able to use standerd windows GUI like editbox ..etc

i mean in the same window .
Posted on 2003-08-08 19:09:28 by Sa6ry
Afternoon, Sa6ry.

remeber that using directx u will not be able to use standerd windows GUI like editbox ..etc

i mean in the same window .

That's true if you're dealing with a fullscreen D3D application.

However...
You *can* use dialogs over a fullscreen DDraw application (there's an example showing this in the DX8.1 SDK)

Plus....
You could always have a windowed application, with the 3d stuff on one side and GUI controls/menus/etc anywhere else.

Afternoon, Tweak.

You don't *make* graphics in asm/DX or any other language.

Remember:
Asm is just the programming language of choice (just like VB/C/C++)
DX is a series of COM APIs which allow access to the graphics card (or...at least..to program it *through* the APIs).

Except for building simple objects like billboards ( for a particle system ) or a few lines, you usually design your object in a 3d model editor.

The easiest 3d modeller I've found so far is Milkshape3d. It's well worth the price (cheap!). However...if you don't have the funds to purchase a registered version, the trial edition runs for a month before disabling itself.
It's quite possible for you to design (on paper or MS Word/whatever) any and all models you think you'd require for a game/application and *then* download the Milkshape3d trial edition and build your models over the month.

While still in the design and "mucking about" stages of your game development, you can always use *stand-in* models so that you've at least got something on the screen and can figure out the code to get the object/s moving correctly.
When you're nearer completion of the game, you can then start replacing the images/ textures/ models/ sound/ music "stand-ins".

That said... it's still pretty nice to have good models up-'n'-running *during* development. That's what I've done with this:
http://www.scrontsoft.com/ww1/ww1_ss1.png
It took three days searching the Net to find factory schematics of the Fokker Dr1 (triplane) and three days to build it in Milkshape3D. The ailerons/rudder/elevator all work independantly (using the mouse) and it's far nicer to have this model on-screen during the rest of game development, than to only have a "stand-in" model.

Cheers,
Scronty
Posted on 2003-08-08 19:46:05 by Scronty