Hi guys here is a small overview of my current system:

AMD Thunderbird 900Mhz (SOCKET)
FIC AZ31 MiniATX (VIA KT133<--- This bastard wouldnt work with my SB >=| )
256MB SDRAM
20GB ATA-100 drive
ATI Radeon 9100 128MB
CMI8738 based sound card

I was looking at the AthlonXP's series of CPU's and their prices are falling rapidly, but I'm kind of hesitant to buy them because when I bought my Athlon, 2 months later the AthlonXP came out and my TB was already phased out, not only that its the Athlon "B" with the 100Mhzx2 FSB. You could imagine how angry I was >=| , AMD is coming out with a new architecture (64-bit) in September (the prescheduled release date) and when that happens the AthlonXP will be as good as dead as well. I do play games and I recently purchased the Radeon 9100 and I couldnt be happier.

Im also thinking of upgrading my RAM and hard drive.

But you see my motherboard uses SDRAM, which might be phased out by DDR RAM (and SDRAM is more expensive in stores). I wanna put it to 512MB.

Also I think a bigger hard drive would be a nice addition, I'm kinda tight on space, and since I partitioned my Win2K-NTFS to only 3GB (its practically full) I can't download large files without having them corrupted or having to clean out stuff on the drive, I dont mind doing it once in a while but it is happening too often.

I was thinking replacing it with a 40GB or 60GB drive.

What are your thoughts? I could ask other forum members on other forums, but they are 3DMark fanatics, they only upgrade their PC's to increase their 3DMark I have no intention of doing that. I ask you guys because you represent the group of users that do the stuff that I do.

Posted on 2003-08-08 16:12:51 by x86asm
A harddrive would be a "safe" upgrade - you can take it with you to the new system. Don't worry too much about serial ATA yet, the technology is still young, and normal ATA will linger on for years to come.

Don't even think about upgrading ram or CPU. Next upgrade of that kind will be ram+cpu+motherboard - SD ram is definitely old shit, you'll want a decent motherboard with dual-ddr support, and a couple of 256 or 512 meg modules (yes, dual-ddr requires pairs of ram modules). To go with that, you'll of course need a CPU that can handle the bandwidth. *cough* P4 *cough*. Or wait for the new AMD whatever stuffy.

As for the drive, I'd say go for a 60 or 80gig maxtor. They seem pretty reliable, and perform rather well while at the same time being damn quiet (especially in "acoustic mode"). Go for a model with 8meg cache, they're nifty. I personally tend to distrust the "latest and greatest" models (which is currently "120gb and larger"), but that's probably just superstition from my side ;)

Oh, and when you finally upgrade the rest of your system - be sure you get a powersupply with enough juice. And not only that, "something stable". Go for at least 400W, and from a decent manufacturer like ThermalTake or enermax.
Posted on 2003-08-08 16:59:45 by f0dder
Well, I am speaking from owning a 133mhz 80mb ram 3 months ago to now having a home built box with 40gb drive, 1gb ram, P4 2.4 ghz and have yet to find something to bog this thing down...

If money is not a factor, go for the whole shabang... If money is a factor, I would do in the following order: (unless you are a gamer then I would do it a bit differently) Power supply (gotta make sure you have the power to handle your power), MOBO (start from the ground up), HD (40 gb +), RAM (512 is good), CPU(eh, personal choice here, probably a P4 or equiv...), GPU (anything with 64MB +), SPU (SB Audigy family is great), CD/DVD burners, and whatever else you want....
Posted on 2003-08-08 17:14:44 by Gunner

A harddrive would be a "safe" upgrade - you can take it with you to the new system. Don't worry too much about serial ATA yet, the technology is still young, and normal ATA will linger on for years to come.

Don't even think about upgrading ram or CPU. Next upgrade of that kind will be ram+cpu+motherboard - SD ram is definitely old shit, you'll want a decent motherboard with dual-ddr support, and a couple of 256 or 512 meg modules (yes, dual-ddr requires pairs of ram modules). To go with that, you'll of course need a CPU that can handle the bandwidth. *cough* P4 *cough*. Or wait for the new AMD whatever stuffy.

As for the drive, I'd say go for a 60 or 80gig maxtor. They seem pretty reliable, and perform rather well while at the same time being damn quiet (especially in "acoustic mode"). Go for a model with 8meg cache, they're nifty. I personally tend to distrust the "latest and greatest" models (which is currently "120gb and larger"), but that's probably just superstition from my side ;)

Oh, and when you finally upgrade the rest of your system - be sure you get a powersupply with enough juice. And not only that, "something stable". Go for at least 400W, and from a decent manufacturer like ThermalTake or enermax.

Ya I was thinking og getting the CPU+Motherboard+RAM combo as an upgrade I wont upgrade the CPU alone cause my motherboard supports a MAX of (get ready...) 1Ghz ThunderBird ACK. hahaha, ya laugh at me :(
Posted on 2003-08-08 18:04:40 by x86asm
I just upgrade my comp to:
Athlon XP 2000+ (was 1G) on KT266A M/B
512 DDR PC2700 (was 256) - this is for XP to be happy ;)
60Gb Maxtor (Quantum) HDD 7200rpm
Ati Radeon 8500 (old name of 9100 ;) - I play games, to
SB Live! (year ago it worked on KT133, after BIOS upgrade ;)

If you gonna buy new m/b, the best choice for Athlon is nForce2 based boards (with dual DDR - so you need 2*DDR DIMM to get ~ 10-15% performance increase in some progs)
Note that Athlons may be Thoroughbread (2*133 bus) and Barton (2*166 bus & 512cache) - 2500+ and above
New Athlons (3000+) use 2*200Mhz and cost like P4

If you're looking for P4, I suggest new ones with "C" letter (P4 2,4C or higher) - they use Hyperthreating and 800MHz bus and need an i865PE based M/B (again with dual DDR PC3200)

Just remember, usually we pay +50% money for +5% speed

Power supply MUST be of good quality, 300W is Ok - I can add: Seasonic, PowerMan(InWin), FKI (Asus)
just take it in hands, good ones are HEAVY :D
400W+ is good, but warm. (you even may experiense problem with cooling of computer case)

HDD - 7200rpm. 8meg "cache" isn't much better than 2Meg (because it's really a buffer), but new ones usualy have 8. ATA standards - don't matter (for speed), really transfer rate is somewhere about DMA33

Integrated audio nowadays is some better than CMI. But not than SB Live

This is good for games

For programming, i think, *MUST HAVE* CD-RW (or DVD+-RW). Else some day you may say "alot" about HDD manufacturer ;)

P.S.
Don't hope you can buy now motherboard and after 2 years *just* upgrade CPU.
Vendors are thinking about money, so they will help you with this :D
With AMD it was easyer, but I belive we'll newer Athlon XP 3500+
Posted on 2003-08-11 00:39:47 by S.T.A.S.