Hi,

I just bought an 20Gb HDD for my old HP Omnibook800CT laptop... Unfortunately i have bought the HDD from IBM :(

Needless to say that my laptop's old BIOS is unable too see HDDs greater than 8G. And IBM sold its HDD divission to Hitachi. And Hitachi decided there is NO NEED Anymore for a free version of OnTrack diskmanager available for download on their site because: "Win2k and WinXP do not need it" --well try and install WinXP on a 133Mhz P1 CPU :P

Anyway i did TRY and both WinXP and Win2k fail to use this new HDD because of course they still use the BIOS at least in initial startup ...

Ok, i am very stupid to buy from IBM (all other HDD manufacturers still have free OnTrack versions on their sites)

My Question is:- Anybody knows for any free replacement for OnTrack Disk Manager ?

:stupid:
Posted on 2003-08-11 04:08:33 by BogdanOntanu
Thank you man...

But what is it?

Forget it now i see what it is, I can not use it :(

Thank you for your good intentions but unfortunately unless is the free version for IBM drives i can not use it ...
Posted on 2003-08-11 09:25:37 by BogdanOntanu
Hi, BogdanOntanu!

I remember this 8Gb problem.
Try these steps:
1. Attach HDD to new computer
2. Create one primary 2Mb FAT partition
3. Install win98
4. Move HDD to loptop
5. if Windows boots (I hope...) create 18Gb partition from Windows
May be you'll need to instal drivers for IDE controller before step 5

In 95% this works.

Or may be you can download new BIOS from HP and upgrade it. (Don't now much about doing this on laptops :(
Posted on 2003-08-11 18:19:11 by S.T.A.S.
Thanks S.T.A.S.

But as soon as i make my first partition on the new drive ....
I can not boot from FDD or HDD anymore, it looks like BIOS really messes things up...

kind of wanting to read beyond the drive limits or it gets an error in int13h i guess
Posted on 2003-08-11 19:21:22 by BogdanOntanu
:(

Try this link: ftp://ftp.boulder.ibm.com/storage/hddtech/DiskManager2000.exe (7172Kb)
(OnTrack 4.05 august 2002) legal and free

Just downloaded ;)
Create boot floppy with Caldera DR-DOS and...
It wants ONLY IBM HDD to work, hope it's not a bad new for you :grin:

S.T.A.S.
Posted on 2003-08-11 19:56:30 by S.T.A.S.
Wow !

Man, how did you found it? looks like IBM still had it stocked there inside somewhere ...

No problem for me as the HDD is an IBM Travestar
model IC25N020ATCS04-0
Posted on 2003-08-11 22:46:52 by BogdanOntanu
This was my job for 5 years. (now I'm changing hardware for software :grin: )
I'm just glad to help you save some time for HE game ;)
Posted on 2003-08-12 02:49:03 by S.T.A.S.