I just read about the Dvorak keyboard layout and how it can reduce the strain in ur arms,etc.

I am still pretty new to it so i can type faster with the traditional QWERTY layout.

And also i noticed a sort of pain in my wrist after practising Dvorak for some time. It was probably because my fingers were not moving only. Cause almost all typing was being done on a the home row only. So would it still be advisable for me to continue with the Dvorak layout or not or am i inviting myself to carpal tunnel syndrome with it?

Also what are your thoughts on these layouts?
I know QWERTY is more popular, but still popular doesnt always mean better (eg, Windows ;) )
Posted on 2003-08-15 15:11:39 by clippy
i know a few people who use Dvorak at home but since QWERTY is ubiquitous, they now type... very... slowly... on... QWERTY... keyboards... which... is... whenever... they're... not... home...
Posted on 2003-08-15 23:48:20 by jademtech
Also what are your thoughts on these layouts?
I know QWERTY is more popular, but still popular doesnt always mean better
You will be interested to know that the Qwerty layout was designed to slow typists down, back in the days of typewriters, 'coz if they typist typed too fast then the arms (or whatever they are called) would jam up.
Posted on 2003-08-18 08:59:45 by sluggy
yes, azerty is designed for speed ;)
Posted on 2003-08-18 13:40:38 by Hiroshimator

You will be interested to know that the Qwerty layout was designed to slow typists down, back in the days of typewriters, 'coz if they typist typed too fast then the arms (or whatever they are called) would jam up.
Yes i read that but i also read that this had the side effect of making typing go real fast.
Posted on 2003-08-18 14:10:36 by clippy

yes, azerty is designed for speed ;)

lol
Posted on 2003-08-18 15:20:12 by FearHQ
I also have the added advantage of a tail as I twirl and jump up and down on the keyboard :P
Posted on 2003-08-18 15:31:32 by Hiroshimator
shrdlu :p
Posted on 2003-08-18 16:22:39 by jademtech