Posted on 2003-08-21 13:29:37 by Tola
Who cares? and who knows? :tongue:
Posted on 2003-08-21 15:11:14 by bj1500
betov

:grin:
Posted on 2003-08-21 15:40:09 by Hiroshimator

betov
:grin:

:grin: I think he's the only one... (in his not so humble opinion)

Actually Robert Noyce is dead so I have to find some-one else for my vote, I'll pick Randall Hyde just to piss off Betov :grin:
Posted on 2003-08-21 16:37:43 by donkey
Given current California politics I'd have to vote for an actor that also programs in ASM -- I'm still looking -- any actors here? :grin:
Posted on 2003-08-21 16:39:23 by bitRAKE
Michael Abrash. But he still couldnt optimize quake enough to run fast on my Cyrix >=|
=P
Posted on 2003-08-21 17:58:39 by x86asm
And Michael Abrash might nominate Terje Mathiesen.
Posted on 2003-08-21 22:44:20 by tenkey
How would anyone know? I don't understand the question...
Posted on 2003-08-22 00:38:13 by FearHQ

How would anyone know? I don't understand the question...
At this stage it's just a popularity contest - no criteria has been set as a standard.
Posted on 2003-08-22 01:05:27 by bitRAKE

At this stage it's just a popularity contest - no criteria has been set as a standard.

You magnificent bastad! Always there with the silver bullet? Well, I guess it goes with the silver tongue :p
Posted on 2003-08-22 02:48:20 by FearHQ

who is the best asm coder in the world
I am :grin:
Posted on 2003-08-22 02:53:55 by clippy

Given current California politics I'd have to vote for an actor that also programs in ASM -- I'm still looking -- any actors here? :grin:

Maybe.... maybe... Angelina Jolie? :grin:
I remember her in a (crappy) movie called 'Hackers', but I don't remember her coding (of course, in the movie) asm. :tongue:
Posted on 2003-08-22 04:49:18 by Starless
Angelina Jolie *purr* *purr*

vraiment 'jolie' cette femme :)
Posted on 2003-08-22 04:58:25 by Hiroshimator
Error: (E8079) Unable to process inqury - "best" is undefined.
What do you mean by best? Is it who nows the most asm variants/dialects, knows all (x86, z80, MIPS, and all others) mnenomics in the head, writes the most optimal code, writes the easiest to read code? :confused:
Posted on 2003-08-22 09:30:59 by scientica

Maybe.... maybe... Angelina Jolie? :grin:
I remember her in a (crappy) movie called 'Hackers', but I don't remember her coding (of course, in the movie) asm. :tongue:

She didn't. But Jonny Lee Miller could figure out what a program was doing by looking at a few dozen pages of hexdump - if that's not 1337 :tongue:
Anyway, I'd like to nominate Ryan Phillippe for his great appearance in AntiTrust.
My favourite scene:
Ryan (looking at some Java web server code): "Wow... Who did this? ... The compression is awesome! Structure's perfect..." :grin:
Posted on 2003-08-22 10:26:10 by Tola
Suggestion :

A) 50 % fast code
B) 30 % easy to understand code
C) 20 % brilliant ideas and misc

A) As long as we do not have self-optimized processor code, it is important the developer to be tricky and know appropriate algorithms. As someone said (Maverick, I think) our brain is our best tool

B) Understanding someone else is so hard... the same for his programs. We need a common language and why not the same coding style/conventions.

C) We have limited resources : the worse is "one-brain" and "one-life" time.
I saw Terminator 3 on movie this month, and I was quite depressed thinking of it.
Skynet is so intelligent... the software is able to take initiatives, to code itself... to act like a human (for instance, hiding its intentions to kill mankind) ; how many centuries (3, 4, 5 ?) will be needed to perform such amazing tasks, to bring machine to human level, to have a program able to write programs, to fetch the right data for it, to self-optimize, not to talk about modelization of basic human behaviour... OK, let us be optimistic a bit now : hardware is much better. We'll soon have gigs of mem and hertz for a single standard computer... fine.
So I think a good programmer should be able to develop toops that will help developing faster and easier.
Posted on 2003-08-22 11:21:39 by valy

how many centuries (3, 4, 5 ?) will be needed to perform such amazing tasks

By that time the (super) computers already has passed the human processing abillities - the question is, how much trust and power will we put on it's circuits? The way I see it we are getting to dependant on coputers, unless something big happensa we will become intergrated with computers (or they with us) - there are already ppl walking the world as cybernetic beeings (ppl with pacemakers for instance, they have an electronic device intergrated in their system - and they have biological components - thus they're cybernetic). It wouldn't surprise me if ppl would be walking around with an intergrated monitor in their eyes - they simply conect to the computer using the wireless GreenFeets 2, and the audio, it's send via the hearing nerves directly (bypassing the ear drums).
Posted on 2003-08-22 13:54:42 by scientica

And Michael Abrash might nominate Terje Mathiesen.

Who is Terje Mathiesen?
Posted on 2003-08-22 16:59:04 by x86asm