Who is Terje Mathiesen?
I know Terje from the ASM newsgroups - a very helpful and knowledgable gentleman. Also, quite the optimization guru! I have much respect for him and his work. Look here:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=Terje+Mathisen
Posted on 2003-08-22 17:27:00 by bitRAKE
didn't Betov proclaimed Randy and Hutch as the experts?

phil :grin:
Posted on 2003-08-23 00:11:28 by phil

Michael Abrash. But he still couldnt optimize quake enough to run fast on my Cyrix >=|
=P

But have you read : THE ZEN OF CODE OPTIMIZATION ?
This is one of his books he has done.... once upon time I was searching for this book and wrote e-mail to Abrash Micheal ,but since it was out of print He couldn't do something except to give me some advice looking for a copy thru e-bay...But In my opinion about the best asm coder I think he's the man!
Someone ever coded for Motorola 68K family?
Posted on 2003-08-23 09:20:15 by ABitLazy

But have you read : THE ZEN OF CODE OPTIMIZATION ?
This is one of his books he has done.... once upon time I was searching for this book and wrote e-mail to Abrash Micheal ,but since it was out of print He couldn't do something except to give me some advice looking for a copy thru e-bay...But In my opinion about the best asm coder I think he's the man!
Someone ever coded for Motorola 68K family?

I havent but I know quite a bit of those CPU's (only because their in my Sega Genesis and Sega CD :D)

ya I read a bit of that book excellent and very smart guy in my opinion!
Posted on 2003-08-24 10:37:43 by x86asm
me
hahhaha
Posted on 2003-08-24 11:14:39 by Bit7

She didn't. But Jonny Lee Miller could figure out what a program was doing by looking at a few dozen pages of hexdump - if that's not 1337 :tongue:
Anyway, I'd like to nominate Ryan Phillippe for his great appearance in AntiTrust.
My favourite scene:
Ryan (looking at some Java web server code): "Wow... Who did this? ... The compression is awesome! Structure's perfect..." :grin:

magnificent
:tongue:

But Jonny Lee Miller could figure out what a program was doing by looking at a few dozen pages of hexdump

As i remember it was something like pressing page down while editing.

BTW Matrix is also good when operator in the ship is looking on the falling numbers and know what is happening .:grin:
Posted on 2003-08-28 07:47:49 by AceEmbler
Another question:how to be a good asm coder? I think the answer is to learn about code optimisation
where it's required. May personnal efforts for learning optimisation.
Posted on 2003-08-28 12:45:32 by Vortex

didn't Betov proclaimed Randy and Hutch as the experts?

phil :grin:
randy was called master hyde or PDF_Writer ... :grin:

hutch was called "assembly guru"...

but yah!! I seem to recall something about "experts"

:grin: :grin: :grin:

of course, I am the best, you're all losers... buzz off freaks!!! :grin: :grin: !!!
Posted on 2003-08-30 00:11:49 by arkane
You ForGot about me.:grin: (Just Kidding). I think It was Hutch.
Posted on 2003-08-30 02:34:02 by realvampire
I must aree with Harold's original assertion here that Betov is the most highly self acclaimed leading guru in the whole assembler market so by sheer deduction, he MUST be the best assembler programmer on the planet.

Anyone who can reinvent the whole history of assembler programming and leave out Microsoft, Art of Assembler and a mountain of other people's work would have to be a guru above and beyond all others who aspire to such lofty heights.

Never having been bound by such limitations as modesty, respect for the work of others who came before him or sheer brutal performance, Betov has single handedly risen above all of the criticism to shine as a beacon to all those who would wish to see assembler acheive the peaks of usability and performance that were acheived in the late 70s.

What we all need to do is hail the conquering emporer with the level of market penetration that Betov has acheived with his illegally coded muscular contraction (SpAsm). Why should a leading GPL guru be limited by the licence of the commercial software that he ripped off in the first place to craft such a powerful assembler ?

"All hail to the new leading highly self aclaimed assembler guru, Betov !

Regards,

http://www.asmcommunity.net/board/cryptmail.php?tauntspiders=in.your.face@nomail.for.you&id=2f46ed9f24413347f14439b64bdc03fd
Posted on 2003-08-30 04:34:53 by hutch--
Can I know when you start programming on Asm? (Im entering 1 year now). Also, Did you made MASM32 on C++? and last Invoke Function, is it like this?

push ebp
push p1
push p2
push p3
push pn
add ebp,[num]
call function
pop ebp

sorry for disturbed this thread, please let me know where I have to post this thread.
Posted on 2003-08-30 09:29:03 by realvampire
The Walrus, Coo Coo ka-Choo :alright:

Posted on 2003-08-30 09:34:53 by NaN
realvampire,

I am sure one of the moderators will move the post if it bothers them but I doubt it.

I started programming in MASM in about 1990 as it was needed back then to add capacity to both basic and C programming but I did not start on 32 bit Windows assembler until early 1997.

The architecture that I modelled MASM32 from was a mixture of original Microsoft SDK C programming that I had used from about 1990 onwards and the reference work of both Steve Gibson and the later work of Iczelion who I worked in conjunction with to build the early versions of MASM32.

With the format of the "invoke" directive in MASM, I would be inclined to disassemble a procedure you have written in MASM using invoke and you will be able to directly see how the assembler uses the high level style of construction. Most function calls are done with PUSH/CALL syntax and the ADDR operator can select between LEA REG, VAR and the more common PUSH offset VAR.

Stack entry is usually done in the normal manner with ESP/EBP but MASM normally uses LEAVE on exit which is shorter and usually does not generate a stall on exit.

Regards,
http://www.asmcommunity.net/board/cryptmail.php?tauntspiders=in.your.face@nomail.for.you&id=2f46ed9f24413347f14439b64bdc03fd
Posted on 2003-08-30 22:33:15 by hutch--
i thick is hutch
Posted on 2003-09-04 23:30:15 by tomorrow
Well...
I can writte an ideal prog, it's small in size, fully relocatable, don't trashes registers and have no bug at all
jmp $
Posted on 2003-09-08 00:06:27 by S.T.A.S.
Michael Abrash is highly overrated. There was a quite humorous page about him once, but I unfortunately lost the URL.

realvampire, are you confusing hutch with microsoft? microsoft wrote ml.exe, hutch pieced together the (badly named) masm32 package.
Posted on 2003-09-08 08:37:40 by f0dder
regardless, anyone that has written a book, trying to enlarge the knowledge of his/her fellow humans deserves respect. It's not an easy feat :)
Posted on 2003-09-08 09:45:10 by Hiroshimator
You ForGot about me. (Just Kidding). I think It was Hutch.

"was Hutch"....hmmm....

I think it IS Hutch and Iczelion, but there are soooo many
very good assembly programmers out there......

Take ME for instance - a real professional:grin: :grin: :grin:

I once asked "What's your BEST assembly program",
but deleted it soon after...
Posted on 2003-09-16 03:53:40 by The SharK

The Walrus, Coo Coo ka-Choo :alright:

Posted on 2003-09-16 03:58:14 by The SharK
Sorry, I dont know what is the Different "Was" and "Is".:grin: (<<Have bad time with English).
NaN: Is it You?:eek: ( What about Plastic surgery? we can help your Fund... :tongue: :grin: )
Posted on 2003-09-16 07:07:32 by realvampire